From:
Anijo Mathew <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anijo Mathew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:05:51 -0600
IJAC

IJAC | International Journal of Architectural Computing* We invite authors
to submit original research papers for the issue scheduled for August /
September 2012, under the title

Architectural Robotics: catalyzing  new design opportunities

Guest editors:

Michael Fox, Aaron Sprecher, Doug Noble, Mike Christenson, Anton Harfmann,
Aron Temkin, Nancy Cheng

Architectural robotics defies definition.  It is an area of architectural
research which is constantly shifting as designers attempt to harness the
elusive developments in robotics.  Current terminology such as "intelligent
environments," "interactive architecture", "responsive environments," and
"smart architecture" abounds and signals the need for architects to be savvy
about exploiting this opportunity of ambiguity to redefine our profession.
While not so long ago it could have effectively been defined as embedding
microcontrollers, sensors and actuators into our physical environments,
recent developments have fostered an umbrella of inclusivity that has begun
to touch every aspect of our lives. Advancements in mobile devices and web
interface technologies have signaled the availability of previously
unimaginable means for gathering data and information.  We have only begun
to explore the potential for the vast data available today to affect our
physical environment in ways that extend digital media into the physical,
tangible and temporal aspects of architecture.  We are at a point where the
emerging capabilities for complex behaviors can allow for physical things to
communicate with each other and have the capacity to sense, learn and adapt
autonomously. Such a proposition prompts the question: How we are to control
or even communicate with such an emergent and evolutionary built
environment? Further, it potentially defines an architecture that goes
beyond the mere capacity to interact; to define a world that repositions the
role of the designer as a catalyst of architecture that can adapt and
evolve.

Architectural robotics is also ensnared in an accelerated technology
transfer of production modes and design methodologies tied to form-making
that have brought innovations in materials to architectural reality faster
than ever. The increased relationship between digital fabrications fostered
by evolving Solid Freeform printing capabilities for multi-material objects
and the ability to print the robotic components into the fabric of our
buildings opens up an entirely new platform for working with architectural
robotics and distributed intelligence.  Digital fabrication advancements are
also poised to foster developments in both the scale and materials used in
architectural robotics. As physical robotic parts scale down it will become
increasingly necessary to integrate the intelligence of the objects into the
physical form itself and reconsider traditional mechanical preconceptions of
dynamic behaviors.

The influence of physical computing on our contemporary design activity and
research reveals that today's architectural systems are primarily responsive
to our cultural, social and even political environment. Such automated
systems are evolving and mutating according to the information processing,
connectivity and media that generate them. "Architectural Robotics" will
focus on the nature of automated processes, physical systems and tools that
propel today's most innovative digital design research and experiments. This
issue of IJAC proposes to observe, analyze and question the conditions
associated with these information mechanisms through a series of critical
questions: What is the nature of architectural systems and design platforms
with regard to the intensification of information assets? How does
increasing desire for responsiveness and interactions affect digital design
thinking? Are there technological limits to our ability to automate
architectural systems? What is the relevance of evolutionary models for
today's physical computing? How can one integrate the complexity of our
physical environment in the automation of architectural systems? How does
physical computing impact cultural, social, political and economic
dimensions in the field of architecture?

Architects, engineers, scientists, researchers in related design
disciplines, and graduate/post graduate students in related field of inquiry
are all invited to submit complete and original papers that have not been
published elsewhere and are not currently under consideration for another
journal. The submissions should be full-length papers (3000 - 5000 words,
maximum length 6000 words) complete with illustrations reporting original
research or practice.

Papers must be submitted only by the IJAC online system at
http://www.architecturalcomputing.org/review/author/submit.php

Please type "Catalyzing Architectural Robotics" in the "Optional Comments"
box in the form.

More information about IJAC can be seen at:
http://www.architecturalcomputing.org/jour/about.html

Detailed instructions for authors can be seen at
http://www.multi-science.co.uk/gen_authors.htm

A template can be downloaded from:
http://www.architecturalcomputing.org/downloads/IJAC_paper_template09.doc

Important dates

Deadline for submitting papers: March 12th, 2012.

Notification of acceptance sent to authors: April 6th, 2012

Final papers due: May 4th, 2012

Publication date: August / September 2012

*IJAC is a scientific, peer-reviewed journal, published by Multi-science (
http://www.multi-science.co.uk/ijac.htm)