Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2008 17:27:03 +0200
Sender:
From:
Johanna Brewer <[log in to unmask]>
The deadline for the UbiComp 2008 Workshop Automated Journeys has been
EXTENDED until July 7, 2007.

Please see the call below for further information.

Call for Participation for...
AUTOMATED JOURNEYS
a UbiComp 2008 workshop

Computing technology now pervades those moments of our day when we move
through our cities. Mobile phones, music players, vending machines,
contact-less payment systems and RFID-enabled turnstiles are de rigueur on
our daily journeys. This workshop aims to examine these augmented journeys,
to reflect on the public, semi-public and private technologies available to
us in them, and to speculate on what innovations might be to come. Taking as
our starting point cities such as Seoul, we aim to take seriously the
developments in mobile technology as well as the advancements in autonomous
machinery and how these mesh with our urban journeys.

Through collaborative fieldwork, group discussion and a hands-on design
brainstorming session, the workshop's empirical focus will be directed
towards producing 4 envisagements that either speculate and/or critically
reflect on technological futures.

Researchers and practitioners are invited to describe their thoughts (within
the limits of 2 pages) on automated journeys and their relationship to the
design and use of technologies by focusing on one of the themes outlined on
the website (see below). We also welcome images, videos, graphics,
animations, or whatever else you feel supports your submission -
additionally we welcome the suggestion of other themes not mentioned.

Further Information (including detailed list of anticipated themes):
http://www.inbetweeness.org/automated-journeys/

Submissions:
[log in to unmask] by July 7, 2008
Acceptance notification remains July 25, 2008

Place & Time:
September 21, 2008
UbiComp 2008, Seoul, South Korea

Organisers:
Arianna Bassoli (The London School of Economics)
Johanna Brewer (Univertsity of California, Irvine)
Alex Taylor (Microsoft Research Cambridge)