Sender:
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2017 18:12:16 -0700
From:
Jofish Kaye <[log in to unmask]>
Dear CHI-Announcements —

I’m happy to announce that we are now accepting applications for the
Mozilla Research Grants 2017H2.

Applications are due September 25.

To learn more and submit your application:
https://mozilla-research.forms.fm/mozilla-research-grants-2017h2

A few details, to whet your appetite:
Mozilla seeks applications for research funding to support its mission
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mission/>: to ensure the Internet is a
global public resource, open and accessible to all.  These grants include
topics both inside and outside of Mozilla’s core focus on Firefox, as well
as topics that fit more broadly with our vision for improving the internet.

*Research Domains*
Areas we have funded in the past include networking, security, compilers,
software verification, software power management, developer tools,
automatic translation, add-on privacy, improving internet safety, gender
differences in VR, studying hacktivism, research tools for blind users, and
teaching programming.

We are explicitly interested in supporting research into various
technological domains, including virtual, mixed and augmented reality,
voice assistants,  natural language processing, understanding speech,
agents, accessibility, machine learning, home networking and router use,
the Internet of Things, Rust, Servo and Firefox.

We are also interested in supporting research into solutions that explore
problems we don't know how to answer: for example, developing open data
resources and allowing for data portability, exploring reasonable ways to
balance advertising and privacy, improving web anonymity, developing open
identity solutions and open standards for encrypted messaging,
characterizing adblocking practices, researching alternatives to
advertising to fund internet experiences, finding ways to improve the
decentralization of the internet away from closed-source software and
closed-source data, exploring issues related to vulnerable populations, and
improving diversity in open source.

We also wish to find researchers working on internet health
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/internet-health/>. These include initiatives
to characterize and improve net neutrality, censorship and internet access
around the world, enhance data portability on the web, protect privacy,
explore the adoption of blockchain and related technologies, study the
environmental impact of the internet, understand the impact of and
solutions for misinformation and fake news, investigate human rights issues
around the internet, and characterize the cost of ransomware attacks.

These research domains are by no means exhaustive: we are open to other
research proposals as long as they support our mission
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mission/>.
…

To learn more and to submit your application: https://mozilla-
research.forms.fm/mozilla-research-funding-grant

Please feel free to forward this.

Jofish Kaye
Principal Research Scientist
Emerging Technologies