Sender:
From:
Catherine Plaisant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 10:03:12 -0400
Please forward to your colleagues...

This year HCIL is offering 4 WORKSHOPS before our 16th Annual Symposium &
Open House.  Workshops organizers are planning their program so contact
them immediately if you wish to participate.

We have now finalized the contents of our 1999 HCIL VIDEO REPORT (see
list below)

Direct link: http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/about/events/open-house-99/

                HUMAN-COMPUTER INTERACTION LABORATORY
     University of Maryland Institute of Advanced Computer Studies
                    http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/

                16TH ANNUAL SYMPOSIUM & OPEN HOUSE

                       Friday June 18, 1999
           (Pre-Symposium Workshops Thursday June 17, 1999)

PRE-SYMPOSIUM WORKSHOPS - June 17th

W1- Designing New Technologies for Children
        Allison Druin
W2- Zoomable User Interfaces (ZUIs)
        Ben Bederson
W3- Usability and Social Considerations in On-line Community Design
        Jean Gasen, Jenny Preece and Jonathan Lazar
W4- Design and Implementation of Query Previews for Digital Libraries
        Maya Ventkatraman and Catherine Plaisant

SYMPOSIUM AND OPEN HOUSE - June 18th

REGISTER BEFORE JUNE 5th

CONTACT: Cecilia Kullman, UMIACS,
        AV Williams Building, University of Maryland,
        College Park, MD 20742-3251
        e-mail: [log in to unmask]
        (301) 405-0304, fax (301) 314-9658

Paying registrants for the HCIL 16th Annual Symposium will receive:
*   ONE HOUR VIDEOTAPE of our HCIL 1999 Video Reports
*   A  set of recent TECHNICAL REPORTS and SLIDES from the talks
*   15% off several HCIL authors' books
*   Lunch buffet

1999 HCIL Video Reports table of contents:

- Query Previews for EOSDIS (1999 UPDATE)
- Design Space for Data and label Placement for information visualization
- Understanding the effect of incidents on transportation delays with a
simulation based environment
- Visualizing Legal Information: Hierarchical and Temporal presentations
- Snap together vizualization
- Designing PETS: A Personal Electronic Teller of Stories
- Welcome to the HCIL-2 Kids First Kid-Made Video
- KidPad: A Collaborative Storytelling Environment for Children
- Softer Software: an excerpt from the Maryland State of Mind program.

PRE-SYMPOSIUM WORKSHOPS June 17, 1999

During the day prior to the Symposium and Open House, four workshops
will enable small groups to focus on special topics .  Each workshop
has different requirements for participation.  Please consult the HCIL
website (www.cs.umd.edu/hcil) for details, or contact the workshop
organizer directly .  The workshops will run from 10am to 4 pm on June
17th.

W1- Designing New Technologies for Children
 Allison Druin - ([log in to unmask])

New processes for designing advanced technologies for children are
emerging. We will discuss the role of children in this process, the
importance of interdisciplinary partners, and the complexities of
technology evaluation. Workshop participants will be asked to share
their past experiences and examples from the University of Maryland
will be presented.

W2- Zoomable User Interfaces (ZUIs)
 Ben Bederson - ([log in to unmask])

ZUIs are an alternative to traditional windows-based approaches of
information visualization.  We'll discuss ZUIs and their trade-offs,
show examples, and describe the Java software we built (that you can
use) to build zoomable applications.  This workshop will end with
group design sessions.

W3- Usability and Social Considerations in On-line Community Design
Jean Gasen, Jenny Preece and Jonathan Lazar - ([log in to unmask])

On-line communities are supported by a variety of software.
Increasingly communities consist of combinations of bulletin boards,
listservs, chats and web pages. As more people come onto the net the
limitations of current software and human moderation capabilities will
increase. In this workshop we will identify problems and document
possible solutions.

W4- Design and Implementation of Query Previews for Digital Libraries
Catherine Plaisant and Maya Ventkatraman ([log in to unmask])

Query Previews allows users to rapidly gain an understanding of the
content and scope of a digital collection.  It uses overviews and
previews of abstracted metadata so that users perform rapid and
interactive elimination of undesired data. This technology transfer
workshop is aimed at NASA data managers but other developers ready to
apply our techniques are welcome.

      http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/about/events/open-house-99/