From:
Tilman Dingler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tilman Dingler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2020 00:08:09 +0000
CfP: Workshop on Detection and Design for Cognitive Biases in People and Computing Systems, CHI Workshop, Hawaii, 2020

========================
INVITATION:
========================
Please consider contributing to and/or forward to the appropriate groups the following opportunity to submit to and join our workshop at CHI 2020 in Honolulu, Hawaii, with the title:

Workshop on Detection and Design for Cognitive Biases in People and Computing Systems

========================
CfP: Workshop on Detection and Design for Cognitive Biases in People and Computing Systems | CHI ‘20
========================

CALL FOR POSITION PAPERS
CHI, 2020 ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems
Workshop page: http://critical-media.org/cobi/
- Workshop submission deadline: February 11, 2020
- Notification of acceptance: February 28, 2020
- Workshop at CHI 2020: Saturday, April 25, 2020

SUMMARY AND THEME
========================
With social computing systems and algorithms having been shown to give rise to unintended consequences, one of the suspected success criteria is their ability to integrate and utilize people's inherent cognitive biases. Biases can be present in users, systems and their contents. With HCI being at the forefront of designing and developing user-facing computing systems, we bear special responsibility for increasing awareness of potential issues and working on solutions to mitigate problems arising from both intentional and unintentional effects of cognitive biases. This workshop brings together designers, developers, and thinkers across disciplines to redefine computing systems by focusing on inherent biases in people and systems and work towards a research agenda to mitigate their effects. By focusing on cognitive biases from content or system as well as from a human perspective, this workshop will sketch out blueprints for systems that contribute to advancing technology and media literacy, building critical thinking skills, and depolarization by design.

TOPICS OF INTEREST
========================
We are proposing a number of themes, which will be addressed depending on participants’ contributions:

-       Detection of Cognitive Biases in People: which methodologies can be deployed to detect cognitive biases in people?
-       Detecting and Overcoming Biases in Systems: how can we challenge the development of filter bubbles? Can artificial intelligence be unbiased? Which algorithms support the development of unbiased systems? Are biases always bad, should some biases be reinforced?
-       Application Scenarios: in which application fields are bias detection and mitigation necessary to ensure unbiased decision making or depolarized discourse? How can HCI research contribute to the deployment of ethical, fair, and unbiased systems?
-       Case Studies: presentation of concrete cases where the prevalence and utilization of biases in systems, societies, people, media, and computing systems have been investigated.
-       Tools and Methods: which modalities enable the quantification of biases, their directedness, and effects? How can tools help to increase self-awareness of biases at work?
-       Creating interventions: how can targets of biased behaviour be protected (through computing systems, regulations, interventions)? How can biased behaviour be prevented, stopped, mitigated through algorithms, system design, interfaces, or agents? Which methods can be used to counteract cognitive biases (e.g., through so-called nudges)
-       Inoculation techniques: the design and creation of systems and methods to help users build resistance against their own biased tendencies. This can include the identification and mitigation of fake news and populist messaging, but also ways to build empathy and critical thinking abilities.

GOALS
========================
The goal of the workshop is to foster a research community around the investigation of cognitive biases and how they influence our interactions with computing systems and our susceptibility to messaging in digital media. As a field in the intersection of Computer Science and Psychology, HCI is well suited for contributing in a variety of ways. We are aiming at building a community with a research agenda around detecting, mitigating, and designing for cognitive biases. To foster and educate fellow researchers, and thereby, raise awareness and self-awareness is consequently an essential goal of this workshop. The workshop themes and accepted submissions will be used as starting points for discussions.

SUBMISSION FORMAT
========================
We invite workshop participants to submit a position paper (4-8 pages in the ACM SIGCHI non-archival Extended Abstracts template, i.e., landscape format) to the organizers about their research and link to one or several of the proposed workshop themes. We will use a single-blind review process to select participants according to the relevance of their work and interests.

All submissions should be sent as PDF to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with "CoBi  2020 Submission" as email subject.

TIMELINE AND DEADLINES
- Workshop at CHI 2020: Saturday, April 25, 2020

ORGANIZERS
Tilman Dingler, The University of Melbourne, Australia
Benjamin Tag, The University of Melbourne, Australia
Evangelos Karapanos, Cyprus University of Technology, Cyprus
Koichi Kise, Osaka Prefecture University, Japan
Andreas Dengel, German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence, Germany