Date:
Fri, 29 May 2015 11:17:14 +0000
Sender:
From:
Nervo Verdezoto <[log in to unmask]>
[Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]
----------------------------------

CALL FOR PAPERS: One-day Workshop on
*Experiences of Technology Appropriation: Unanticipated Users, Usage, Circumstances, and Design*

in conjunction with ECSCW 2015
http://www.ecscw2015.no

September 19th (or 20th), 2015
Oslo, Norway

Workshop Website:
https://projects.hci.sbg.ac.at/ecscw2015/

----------------------------------
Important dates:
- 1st July 2015: Workshop submission deadline
- 31st July 2015: Notification of acceptance
- 21st August 2015: Camera-ready version
- 19th or 20th September 2015: Workshop at ECSCW 2015
----------------------------------

TOPIC:
Whether in private or professional life, people frequently adapt, adopt, and shape the technology around them based on their everyday practices to ease interaction when accomplishing certain tasks. The major goal of this one-day workshop is to discuss how this form of technology appropriation is used to satisfy people’s communication needs. In particular we focus on technology that was not initially intended to foster communication, but which led to appropriation, driven by people’s communication needs.

Our aim is to identify ‘unexpected’ communication needs, to better account for them when designing interactive systems. We focus on different contexts, ranging from private settings (e.g., home) or semi-public spaces (e.g., art galleries) to strictly regulated environments (e.g., production lines or health- and emergency contexts) in which appropriation can be considered as a ‘critical’ matter. Thereby, we will discuss (but are not limited to) four main aspects of appropriation: unanticipated usage, unanticipated users, unanticipated circumstances, and designing for the unanticipated.

Thereby, our workshop aims at identifying and reflecting upon experiences concerning actual technology appropriation. This workshop looks for successful stories of technology appropriation to satisfy particular user’s needs as well as unsuccessful stories around technology disappropriation giving examples of how technology did not meet particular user’s needs. By the end of the workshop, we aim to have a collection of experiences from organizers and participants with regard to diverse aspects related to appropriation.

PARTICIPATION:
We invite scholars and practitioners with a variety of backgrounds, who share an interest in understanding technology appropriation and would like to reflect upon their experiences in this context, to submit a position paper on one or more of the following topics (or related to them):

•       Examples of successful/unsuccessful technology appropriation for communication needs in different contexts;
•       Examples of technology appropriation by unanticipated users (addressing either expected/unexpected communication needs) in everyday or emergent practices;
•       Methodological approaches to explore technology appropriation for communication;
•       Theoretical accounts to technology appropriation for communication;
•       Design of collaborative systems that address expected/unexpected communication needs as a reaction to technology appropriation;
•       Design of collaborative systems that enable users to share their adaptations to technology that could be useful for others in the same situation;
•       Critical reflections on the design, implementation, and use in relation to technology appropriation practices.

SUBMISSION:
Please submit a position paper (up to 6 pages in the ECSCW Springer format – see http://www.ecscw2015.no/call-for-submissions/papers/) until July 1st, 2015 to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

The submissions will be reviewed by the organizers with support of other researchers forming a dedicated program committee and selected according to their potential to contribute to the workshop topic and to foster discussion.

All accepted contributions (notifications will be sent out on July 31st) will be made available on the website to allow participants to prepare for the workshop. The organizers will consider the publication of revised versions of accepted papers as part of a special issue in a CSCW related journal.

ORGANIZERS:
Alina Krischkowsky, University of Salzburg, Austria.
Manfred Tscheligi, University of Salzburg & Austrian Institute of Technology, Austria.
Katja Neureiter, University of Salzburg, Austria.
Michael Muller, IBM Research, U.S.A.
Anna Maria Polli, University of Applied Science Upper Austria, Austria.
Nervo Verdezoto, Aarhus University, Denmark.

CONTACT:
More details to be found on the workshop website: https://projects.hci.sbg.ac.at/ecscw2015/

For any further information on the workshop please contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>