From:
Natalie Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Natalie Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:29:35 -0000
CALL FOR PAPERS

Workshop on
ADDING VALUE WITH EYETRACKING

1 day workshop: Monday, June 12, 2006
UPA 2006. Broomfield, Colorado. USA.

Eyetracking is now an almost standard offering from commercial HCI analysts. However, what are the best ways to exploit the strengths and minimise the weaknesses of this technique? This workshop aims to define best practice by sharing ideas and experiences in using eyetracking for evaluation and design of digital interfaces.

===Issues===

There are a number of issues we would like to address within the workshop:

* What is the best practice in undertaking eyetracking for commercial projects? What are the pitfalls to avoid? How can we help educate our clients on how to leverage this technique in the best way?

* To what extent can eyetracking contribute to the measurement of the five Es; efficiency, effectiveness, error tolerance, ease of learning and engagement (Quesenbery, 2001)?

* Have businesses managed to establish any unique added value from eye tracking which translates into tangible business benefits? A quote from the HCI event 2005 held in Edinburgh (Scotland) neatly sums up the business issues;
"Our usability lab includes an eye tracking system. However, so far, the eyetracker system has only been used to support usability findings from inspections or user testing......eyetracking equipment is expensive and the extra time required for calibration and further data analysis adds to the cost."

* How can we leverage academic research for both methodological improvements and design implications? e.g. Hornof, Halverson, 2003.

* What has to happen in the world of eye tracking to get the technique used to its full potential by the UCD fraternity?

* Have others in the field come across empirical evidence that would support the conclusion that eye tracking could contribute to the "satisfaction" element of usability evaluation?

===Workshop Format===

We believe one of the values of the workshop will be to get people talking in-depth about the issues and problems they have about eyetracking. Due to this, discussion groups will play a leading role in the workshop. Attendees will be required to read position papers from other attendees prior the workshop to understand the background details of other participants' work and research.

===Submissions===

The facilitators aim to select participants (practitioners and academics) who have experience in using eyetracking or, if little experience, have developed a position or view on the use of eyetracking for commercial reasons. The workshop is not a tutorial and attendees need to be able to actively participate in the discussions
The position papers submitted need to address the following questions
* Background in using eyetracking in design and evaluation
* Current work and interests in the field
* Critical issues you would like to discuss in the workshop
* References to quoted work

If you wish to apply, please provide your position paper in a Word or RTF document of no more than 2 pages and send to the workshop facilitators emails listed below.

===Important Dates===

The final deadline for position papers is the 2nd June. We will however endeavour to review and provide feedback on workshop position papers no later than 2 weeks after they are submitted to us (or the 9th June whichever is earliest). If you need to get feedback in a shorter time-frame than this, please let us know.

===Organisers===

Natalie Webb
Amberlight Partners Ltd, 58 Bloomsbury St. London WC1B 3QT, UK.

Tony Renshaw
Leeds Metropolitan University, School of Computing, Beckett Park, Leeds, LSQ 3QS, UK. [log in to unmask]

===Workshop website===
http://www.amber-light.co.uk/UPA2006/UPA2006ETWkshop.htm

===UPA2006 Conference website===
http://www.upassoc.org/conferences_and_events/upa_conference/2006/