From:
"Sean P. Goggins" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean P. Goggins
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 13:47:38 -0400
Please contact [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] to make us aware of
your desire to participate, and visit http://www.ecscw2011.org/ to register!

Sean P. Goggins

Workshop about “Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning at the Workplace –
CSCL@W”

CALL for POSITION PAPERS

In this context, learning is no longer an activity that is separate from
work. Learning at work is also about more than acquiring new information to
perform a task, but about developing new knowledge to help a firm, an
organization or a government improve its services in socially measurable as
well as economically measurable ways.

Abstract.
Workplace learning is different than knowledge management or collaborative
work because it involves identifying information when the answer to a
problem is not known. Knowledge creation activities like these are phenomena
that occur at the intersection of research on knowledge management, computer
supported cooperative work (CSCW) and computer supported collaborative
learning (CSCL). In practice, computer support for collaborative learning in
the workplace (CSCL at Work) can aid the creation of new products (e.g.,
better wheels for the winter), new social innovations (like management of
open innovation processes) or other services (e.g., remote laboratories for
mechanical engineering). CSCL at Work supports creativity and innovation
among working people. Research on CSCL, in contrast, is focused on the
acquisition of core skills, usually in K12 students. In this workshop, nine
dimensions of CSCL at Work, identified in our first workshop at ACM Group
2010 are tested against new case studies supplied by participants. With this
second workshop at e-CSCW 2011 (Denmark) we will take a critical CSCW
community centered perspective on our framework for CSCL at Work. More
information onhttp://www.ecscw2011.org (conference website) and
www.csclatwork.org (workshop website)

Workshop organizers are

Sean P. Goggins,