From:
Richmond Wong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richmond Wong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2017 11:49:27 -0700
Submission Deadline: April 21, 2017
https://biosensingworkshop.wordpress.com

== Call for Participation ==

Biosensing, by which we mean sensors measuring human physiological and
behavioral data, is becoming pervasive throughout daily life: beyond
wristwatches that measure heartrate and skin conductance, to clothing,
furniture, cars, personal robots, ingestibles, virtual reality headsets, as
well as visual and wireless sensors that can collect bodily data at a
distance.

Biosensing brings with it new challenges (and opportunities) for the design
of interactive systems, such as supporting social and emotional
interpretations of biosensory data; implications for how people construct
themselves and are constructed through data; and what privacy means in such
contexts.

This workshop seeks to engage researchers in exploring these themes in
lights of the emerging ubiquity of biosensors in everyday life. We welcome
participants whose work covers a variety of different topics, including but
not limited to:

* Self-tracking practices
* Privacy and surveillance
* Critical and speculative design
* Infrastructure studies
* Affective systems
* Design for reflection

We welcome work from a variety of methodologies, such as design research,
anthropology, STS, ethnographic studies, user studies, art practice,
systems building, and critical or speculative design. Submissions may take
the form of essays, arguments, empirical work, pictorials, video,
portfolios or artifacts.

Interested parties should submit a 2-4-page position paper in the SIGCHI
extended abstracts format that addresses the workshop themes. We also offer
the option of submitting alternative material of rough equivalence (e.g., a
design portfolio, pictorial, white paper, or similar).

Apply by April 21, 2017 at https://biosensingworkshop.wordpress.com.
Workshop takes place June 11, 2017 at DIS 2017 in Edinburgh.

Organizers:
* Dawn Nafus, Intel Labs
* Lucian Leahu, ITU Copenhagen
* Luke Stark, Dartmouth