From:
Lars Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2017 18:34:41 -0700
*apologies for cross-posting*

This is the final call for papers for the design.fail workshop at Ubicomp
2017. If you would like to share and discuss your failures and insights,
you can submit under https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=faildesign2017
<https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=faildesign2017>

Please find the full call below and on the website https://designxworkshop.
wordpress.com/

We look forward to your submissions!

Lars Mueller, Matthias Budde, Nadir Weibel, Eliah Spencer, Michael Beigl,
Don Norman

------------------
                              CALL FOR PAPERS

                             *fail.design 2017*
       1st Workshop on Learning from Failure: Designing for Complex
                          Sociotechnical Systems
                  https://designxworkshop.wordpress.com/

                        Co-located with UbiComp2017
                September 11 or 12, 2017, Maui, Hawaii, USA

------------------
                    * Paper Submission: June 09th, 2017 *

------------------

The road to success is seldomly straight and a lot can be learned from
the wrong turns we take while walking it. Unfortunately, once we reach
our goals, we focus our reports almost entirely on the right choices
we made. This makes others miss out on the lessons from our
intermittent or even ultimate failures.

As soon as one combines a range of Ubicomp devices, and a variety of
users, each with a different roles, the result is a complex
sociotechnical system with unexpected interactions and emergent
properties both desired and undesired. We see failure stories about
the development and deployment of Ubicomp systems as a key opportunity
to rethink how we evaluate the design of complex sociotechnical
systems. We believe that combining insights from human-centered design
and failure stories will improve understanding of specific
sociotechnical challenges that characterize modern and complex Ubicomp
solutions.

TOPICS
======

This workshop expects submission of reports on failed attempts in
terms of design, development and/or large-scale deployment of Ubicomp
systems that are aimed at addressing complex sociotechnical
challenges. Papers should report upon the unexpected nature of the
encountered problem(s) as well as elucidate on the steps that were
taken to move towards a working system. This workshops calls for
papers dealing with (but not exclusive to):

 * Surprising human behavior in response to technology
 * Emergent properties created by large amounts of interacting devices and
users
 * Challenges to identify or get “buy-in” from all relevant stakeholders
 * Non-linear causal relations and non-independence of elements
 * Biased results due to early decisions on how to collect, analyze or
report data
 * Collections of design failures along with according messages
 * Modifications of or new design methods motivated by past failure

While the topic of the workshop are complex sociotechnical systems,
submissions will not be judged by the size of the deployment or the
number of components but the resulting unexpected behavior and/or the
lessons drawn from the reported failures.

IMPORTANT DATES
===============
Paper Submission Deadline:    June 09th, 2017
Author Notification:                   June 30th, 2017
Camera-ready due:                  July 14th, 2017

PAPER SUBMISSION
================
The workshop calls for non-anonymized papers of 4-6 pages in CHI
extended abstract format. Please submit to
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=faildesign2017 by June 9th.

Submissions will be selected by their potential to stimulate
discussions in the workshop. Submissions may explicitly contain
already published material, i.e. we encourage authors to report on
failures they experienced in the progress of planning and conducting
ultimately successful and subsequently published research.

All accepted papers will be included in the ACM Digital Library within
the adjunct proceedings of the main conference. Personal presentation
of the papers by one of the authors at the workshop is expected.

ORGANIZERS
Lars Müller, Design Lab, UC San Diego, USA
Matthias Budde, TECO, KIT, Germany
Nadir Weibel, Design Lab, UC San Diego, USA
Eliah Aronoff Spencer, Design Lab, UC San Diego, USA
Michael Beigl, TECO, KIT, Germany
Don Norman, Design Lab, UC San Diego, USA

Lars Müller, Phd, Design Lab Fellow, Design Lab, UC San Diego