From:
Christian Peter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christian Peter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:51:57 +0200
Apologies for cross postings.  Please distribute as necessary.

*** CALL FOR PAPERS ***

CHI 2008 Workshop - Affect in HCI: Going Beyond the Individual

April 5, 2008
Florence, Italy

WORKSHOP WEBSITE: http://www.emotion-in-hci.net/chi08/

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 3 October 2007, 5PM (PDT)

The measurement of affect in HCI research is a challenging and
complex issue. Although a number of techniques for measuring affect
have been developed, a systematic discussion of their effectiveness
and applicability in different contexts remains lacking, especially
in social contexts with multiple users. As computing shifts to
increasingly collaborative and ubiquitous models, it is important to
discuss affect measurement beyond the individual level.  This
workshop will provide a forum where designers, practitioners, and
researchers can 1) introduce novel methods of affect measurement
that go beyond physiological and self-report measures, 2) advance
our understanding of existing measurement methods and how they can
be expanded, and 3) critically evaluate issues of affect measurement.

We welcome submissions that address our workshop theme.  Areas of
interest include, but are not limited to:

Yours, mine or ours
- Is "group affect" merely a summary of individual group member
affect or do we need measurement methods beyond the individual? How
is affect transferred from one group member to another through
emotional contagion, behavioral entrainment and interaction
synchrony? How do we measure such transfer processes?

Implicit measures
- A method that overcomes many of the criticisms of self-report and
physiological measures of affect measurement are implicit measures
such as analysis of linguistic cues.  What other implicit measures
can the HCI community utilize?

Objective and subjective measures
- In what contexts are objective measures of emotion and more
subjective measures of emotion useful? Can there be a common ground
between the two? A structured conversation between researchers using
these different measures holds great promise for the community.

Mild emotions, mixed emotions and single emotions
- Majority of measurement techniques focus on single emotions or an
umbrella of emotions generally referred to as positive or negative
affect.  Is there measurement techniques that can measure subtle
(low intensity) emotions or different emotions experienced
simultaneously?

Cross cultural applicability
- What are the cross-cultural issues associated with affect
measurement?  Are there measurement techniques that can be
reasonably applied across cultures?

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

Workshop submissions should be a maximum of 4 pages in length and
formatted in the extended abstracts format (download template at
http://www.chi2008.org/formatting.html#extended-abstract).
Submissions should be sent as a PDF file by email to
[log in to unmask]  Accepted submissions will be published in the
workshop proceedings with an ISBN. We are in negotiations with
Springer to publish an edited book with revised and longer versions
of workshop submissions.

UPON ACCEPTANCE

All accepted submissions will be posted to the web site, enabling
preliminary exchanges among workshop participants before the
conference. Participants will be instructed to create posters of
their submissions for demonstration during the workshop.

IMPORTANT DATES

Deadline for paper submissions: 3 October 2007, 5PM (PDT)
Notification of acceptance: 28 November, 2007.
Workshop: 5 April, 2008.

ORGANIZERS

N. Sadat Shami, Cornell University, USA.
Jeffrey T. Hancock, Cornell University, USA.
Christian Peter, Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics, Germany.
Michael Muller, IBM Research, USA.
Yanghee Kim, Utah State University, USA.
Regan Mandryk, University of Saskatchewan, Canada.