From:
See Swee Lan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
See Swee Lan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:09:15 +0800
ICSR2011 Tutorial track is now open for registration!

The ICSR2011 tutorial track is targeted at researchers and students working in the interdisciplinary domain of Human-Robot Interaction (http://www.icsr2011.org/tutorial.html). We are happy to invite researchers and students to attend:
1) Joint Action for Social Robotics: How to Build a Robot that Works Together with Several Humans
2) Tutorial on evaluation in human-robot interaction - Integrating system and user centred perspectives

The best of all: The conference registration gives you access to the tutorial track for no additional cost! Be quick, availability is limited to 20 participants per tutorial!

Conference registration rates:
Rates:              Early registration        Regular registration        Late / On-site registration
Normal rate         € 350.00                  € 400.00                    € 450.00
Student rate        € 150                     € 225.00                    € 275.00
Deadlines:          Until 4-10-2011           Until 4-11-2011             After 4-11-2011

Registration Fees Include:
 *   Lunch and two coffee breaks for each day
 *   One ticket to attend the welcome reception
 *   One ticket to attend the banquet
 *   One conference proceedings
 *   One conference bag and souvenir
 *   Access to the tutorials / workshop on November 23

Registration at: http://www.icsr2011.org/regis.html

Date of Tutorials: 23.11.2011

Tutorial 1: Joint Action for Social Robotics: How to Build a Robot that Works Together with Several Humans (http://www.icsr2011.org/james-tutorial-icsr.pdf)
Speakers: Manuel Giuliani, Ron Petrick, Kerstin Huth, Amy Isard, Maria Pateraki, Panos Trahanias

Joint action, the coordination of individual actions by two or more participants working on a common goal, is the basis of many everyday social interactions between humans. However, even though humans engage in such activities, seemingly with ease, how well are the mechanisms underlying such behaviours   understood? Can we build a robot that is able to work together with humans? The aim of this tutorial is to give an introduction to several key technologies that are needed to build a human-robot joint action system. In particular, we explore the topic of joint action from the viewpoint of different research fields including robotics, computer science, electrical engineering, computational linguistics, and psycholinguistics all of which we believe contribute to our understanding of joint action. This tutorial will give a technical introduction to the software, tools, and methods that we are using to construct a robot capable of working with humans, in the context of JAMES, a European project exploring human-robot joint action and social interaction. The talks in this tutorial will cover a variety of topics at the heart of joint action, including the collection and analysis of empirical data from human-human joint action studies, the requirement analysis and implementation of a robot capable of joint action with a human, algorithms for visual processing of human head pose and gestures, grammar-based speech processing and output generation, and knowledge-level planning with incomplete information. Since the implementation of a human-robot joint action system involves techniques from many diverse research areas, researchers also face the challenge of working together on common goals. Thus, in addition to the technical programme we will also share information concerning best practices for communication in a multi-disciplinary research team.

List of topics:
In short, attendees of this tutorial will receive:
        * a better understanding of the importance of joint action in the area of social robotics,
        * an empirically motivated overview of the basic mechanisms of human-human joint action,
        * an overview of several technologies that are needed to build a human-robot joint action system, and
        * best practices for communication and collaboration in an international, multi-disciplinary research team

Tutorial 2: ICSR 2011 Tutorial on evaluation in human-robot interaction - Integrating system and user centered perspectives (http://www.icsr2011.org/Tutorial%20B%20--%20HRI%20data%20analysis.pdf)
Speakers: Manja Lohse, Sebastian Gieselmann, Sascha Griffiths, Katrin Lohan, Ingo Lütkebohle, Karola Pitsch, Nina Riether, Lars Schillingmann, Frederic Siepman

An increasing number of researchers in human-robot interaction (HRI) conduct user studies and experiments in order to evaluate their systems and to generate findings about the users and the interaction. These studies are highly interdisciplinary endeavours since they include both technical and social aspects of interaction. At RO-MAN 2009 we organized a first tutorial (see http://aiweb.techfak.unibielefeld.de/content/tutorial-roman09) on evaluation in HRI in which we showed how we cope with the plenitude of data acquired in user studies in our daily work. The tutorial at ICSR 2011 will be based on the same assumptions but is going to focus on a new aspect that evolved within the last two years: how can data from the user and the system be more strongly integrated with each other in the analysis?
We will discuss how to acquire reliable data about the system itself and about the user. Connected to this issue, we will talk about the tools and approaches that we use for logging and synchronization of the data. Moreover, we will give a short introduction on qualitative and quantitative methods. Case studies will show how data were acquired and analyzed in user studies at Bielefeld University, with the aim to generate useful insights for system design and social science at the same time and in an integrated manner.
List of topics:
        * essentials of designing user studies and experiments
        * introduction on how to acquire data in user studies
        * preparation of data for analysis
        * qualitative and quantitative analysis of data
        * linking different types of data for analysis and visualization
        * tools and devices for data acquisition and synchronization

General information on the ICSR conference:
The International Conference on Social Robotics brings researchers and practitioners together to report and discuss the latest progress in the field of social robotics. The conferences focus on the interaction between humans and robots and the integration of robots into our society. The inaugural conference was held in Incheon, Korea (2009), and after the very successful ICSR2010 in Singapore, we are proud to invite you to the intriguing city of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

The theme of the 2011 conference is "Alive!" It expresses the vitality of the social robotics research, paying particular attention to the development of robots that appear increasingly social -- the point that people perceive them to be alive. The conference aims to foster discussion on the development of computational models, robotic embodiments, and behaviour that enable robots to act socially and the impact that social robots have on people and their social and physical environment.

Best regards,

Martin Saerbeck & See Swee Lan
[log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]
Tutorial Chairs

“1991-2011 - Creating Growth, Enhancing Lives. Commemorating A*STAR’s 20 Years of Science, Technology and Research in Singapore.”

Institute for Infocomm Research disclaimer:  "This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately. Please do not copy or use it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you."