From:
"Singh, Aneesha" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Singh, Aneesha
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2017 20:27:37 +0000
Dear CHI Attendees,

Join us on Monday 8th May from 14.30-15.50 (in room 301) for our SIG at CHI'2017 entitled: "HCI and Health: Learning from Interdisciplinary Interactions". The details of the SIG are at www.hcinhealth.wordpress.com and a brief abstract is below this email.

The SIG will start with a few provocative keynote presentations from speakers working in the area to get the ball rolling followed by a panel discussion. We would be delighted if you and your colleagues attend the session or contribute to the discussion on  twitter (@hcinhealth).

We look forward to seeing you at the SIG for a timely and relevant discussion on the present and future directions for this area of research.

Best,
Aneesha, Nikki, Jo, Ann, Yunan, Pam, Helena, Kate and Jakob

Abstract
HCI has multidisciplinary roots and has drawn from and contributed to different disciplines, including computer science, psychology, sociology, and medicine. There is a natural overlap between health and HCI researchers, given their joint focus on utilising technologies to better support people\'s health and wellbeing. However, the best digital health interventions are not simply the result of the "application" of HCI to the domain of healthcare, but emerge when researchers from both camps seek to overcome differences in disciplinary practices, traditions, and values in order to collaborate more effectively and productively. We propose a special interest group (SIG) to include interdisciplinary researchers (i.e., participants active in both communities) as well as researchers from either discipline, but with interests in the other field.

Topics for presentations and discussion include:

1. The evidence hierarchy: while there is consensus that the evidence hierarchy is difficult to apply in digital technology and even many health settings, what methods can be used to apply rigour? Can we abandon the hierarchy? Do we need new frameworks?

2. Development and evaluation paradigms: the development and evaluation of digital health

interventions presents particular challenges and cuts across methodological paradigms; how can we develop a broader portfolio of methods to enrich the digital health landscape? How can we address pragmatic differences regarding publishing and funding?

3. Establishing clinical evidence: clinical evidence of efficacy and efficiency is core to clinical acceptance and implementation of digital health technology. However, traditional methods of establishing a solid evidence base are simultaneously slow and challenged by the pace of technological development.

4. Building a common language: translating between disciplines is important; how do we describe things? What terms are contentious and which are shared? What methods are to be used? What is evidence?

5. How can we share and build our expertise? We will explore how to build resources by crowdsourcing methods and practical means of supporting such a community and information repository.

Author Keywords

Digital health; wellbeing; public health; HCI; methodology; evidence; iteration; interventions; evaluation; paradigms; interdisciplinary; multidisciplinary; collaboration

Organizers: Aneesha Singh, Nikki Newhouse, Jo Gibbs, Ann Blandford, Pam Briggs, Yunan Chen, Helena Mentis, Kate Sellen, and Jakob Bardram

Primary contact: Aneesha Singh, UCL, [log in to unmask]

CHI link: <http://confer.csail.mit.edu/chi2016/paper#!sig115> http://confer.csail.mit.edu/chi2017/paper#!sigs1016