From:
Jonathan Grudin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jonathan Grudin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2020 04:56:16 +0000
SIGCHI is initiating the collection of oral histories to help preserve and share the stories of our communities. IEEE and other organizations have collected and made available thousands of oral histories of computer scientists and engineers, almost none of which address Human-Computer Interaction.

This 5-minute survey<https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR_ExQRi9WYNHv_9eoNUbk2ZUNEVUSTUzUlNMTkdNMExWVjlDNkhNR0hIUS4u> will help establish priorities and set directions. It asks:

  1.  What should the initial focus of our oral history effort be? HCI has a wealth of forms of contribution. With enough resources and time, we should cover all of them. But we have limited resources -- so which types of contributions should we prioritize?

  *   Older contributors / pioneers while they are available.
  *   Past presidents and officers of SIGHCHI, CHI conferences, CHI publications, those involved with CHI-sponsored conferences and other HCI-related conferences and publications.
  *   Contributions to novel systems, methods, and theories.
  *   Research reports of significant behavioral aspects of technology use.
  *   Work that has had a demonstrable impact on individuals, communities, organizations, or society.
  *   Geographic regions or ethnic groups, where contributions may have received insufficient consideration.
  *   Women, whose contributions may have received insufficient consideration.
  *   Other groups that may have received insufficient consideration.
  *   Young role models that will inspire younger members.

Our choice would be "all of the above," but we have to start somewhere!

  1.  Two bottlenecks are finding people to record oral histories and funding the effort, so the survey also asks if you know of historians who could participate, if you or your graduate students would be interested in learning to record histories, or if you know people of a philanthropic spirit who could contribute to this effort to capture records of a field that is evolving so rapidly that its history must be heard to be imagined.

Survey: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR_ExQRi9WYNHv_9eoNUbk2ZUNEVUSTUzUlNMTkdNMExWVjlDNkhNR0hIUS4u

SIGCHI History Committee
Loren Terveen, Jonathan Grudin, Ron Baecker, Catherine Plaisant, Brad Myers, Sara Bly, Bill Buxton, Geraldine Fitzpatrick, Jim Hollan