Sender: "ACM SIGCHI General Interest Announcements (Mailing List)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 10:56:10 +0000
From: Raune Frankjær <[log in to unmask]>
joint PhD Course and Humans & IT research group seminar in CONSTRUCTIVE AND EXPERIMENTAL PRACTICE IN PHD RESEARCH
with ELISA GIACCARDI, JONAS LÖWGREN, LAURA BELOFF, DANIELLE WILDE and THOMAS BINDER
16th - 17th of August 2017 at the Dept. Of Digital Design and Information Studies, Aarhus University, Denmark.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview: Universities are opening up for ‘non-written materials’ to be submitted for assessment as part of PhD projects. These ‘non-written works’ can take on a wide array of forms, such as prototypes, mock-ups, scenarios, different forms of media and software, etc. Yet there are no clearly formulated methodologies and practices of how to implement these works into PhD research.

To address this new and exciting situation, we are planning a two-day seminar for the Research Group Humans and IT<http://cc.au.dk/en/research/research-programmes/humans-and-information-technology/>, where we - supported by prominent guest lecturers working with constructive methods - will explore the possibilities of this new development. In the seminar we will collectively develop strategies to take advantage of this new opportunity of knowledge creation both with regards to the PhD students work, as well as within our own research. Adjoining the seminar there will be a PhD course from the 15th - 18th of August, exploring similar questions from students’ perspective. In the course students will discuss different approaches to knowledge creation through constructive research and develop strategies to address PhD dissemination methodologies and formulations. Prominent and senior scholars from experimental and constructive arts and design research will assist the process, taking the students own practical work as point of departure.

More information can be found here: http://projects.au.dk/practice-in-phd-research/

Note that sign-up for the PhD course is not possible yet. The course and registration form can be found here in due time: http://phdcourses.dk

Please feel free to circulate this mail within your network.

Best regards,

Raune Frankjaer

—
Raune Frankjær || Interactive Spatial Media & Digital Artefacts
Phd Fellow
Dept. Digital Design & Information Studies
School of Communication and Culture
Aarhus University
Helsingforsgade 14
DK-8200 Aarhus N