Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 12:03:50 +0200
Sender: "ACM SIGCHI General Interest Announcements (Mailing List)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Andreas Butz <[log in to unmask]>
EVIS 2012 -  Workshop on Electric Vehicle Information Systems: The
Challenges and Chances of E-Mobility

*** October 17, Portsmouth, NH, US ***
*** in conjunction with AutoUI 2012 http://www.auto-ui.org/12 ***
*** August 31, 2012 - DEADLINE ***
*** more info at http://www.evis.hciunit.org/  ***
*** Workshop participation is free with Conference Registration ***

What would the interaction with an automotive user interface in an
electric vehicle (EV) look like? In this workshop we will discuss how
in-vehicle information systems (IVIS) and car interiors can be designed
to meet challenges inherent in the development process of electric
vehicles like e.g. range anxiety, energy recovery/recharging or
automated driving. In accordance with the fundamental changes shown in
today’s EV concepts, we address the challenge of rethinking in-car
interaction as well as interior design to overcome traditional
implementation habits and see how EVs differ from contemporary cars. We
want to open up the stage for new interaction techniques and flexible
interior designs that embrace the future requirements of EVs.

THEME: EVIS - Electric Vehicle Information Systems

Much effort is put into the development of sustainable batteries for
electric vehicles (EV), the conceptualization of electric motors or the
development of a smart grid to provide a working infrastructure for an
e-mobility future. Although the car as a design space has been
identified in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), researchers and
professionals have mainly been focusing on state of art vehicles with
combustion engines. Given the continuous progress in system development
and infrastructure, a slightly neglected issue appears to be that
barriers of adoption persist for the users, as a vehicle is a limited
physical space with unique attributes. Furthermore, overall mobility
behaviour is affected through limited energy resources and an existing
priority shift away from owning a car. As researchers, designers and
practitioners in this design space, we need to be sensitive to the
unique context-related factors such as acceptance, safety and
distraction that form barriers for adoption regarding the design space
of EVs. It is therefore inevitable to consider user requirements and
interaction concepts early in the design process of an EV and especially
pay attention to the development of novel information systems. As these
systems are the connection between users and cars, interfaces are the
main channel to translate EV properties. They transport meanings and
messages to both, the driver and the system itself and communicate the
meaning and behaviour of certain functionalities that differ from what
is already known about state of the art vehicles.

Topics

We consider electric vehicle information systems (EVIS) as an inclusive
term that encompasses encounters and intersections between interior
design and information system design. In this respect, we invite papers
that present and discuss novel contributions to electric vehicle user
interfaces both on a practical and theoretical level and that further
our understanding of the field through case studies, design approaches,
and best practices. We expect contributions to explore a wide range of
topics including, but not limited to:

- Case Studies of Specific Projects
- Ideas and Design Sketches
- Future Trends and Prototypes
- EVIS and Interior Design
- Interaction Techniques and Interfaces
- Social and Cultural Aspects of Interaction Design
- Design Processes and Methods
- Engineering Solution and Process Analysis

GOALS AND EXPECTED AUDIENCE

It is the aim of this workshop to address the following goals:
- Identify properties of EVs that affect driving behaviour/needs for
novel interface/interaction approaches.
-  Transfer EV properties into design concepts that embrace areas like
multimodality, natural user interfaces or interaction concepts.
- Consider a change in driving behaviour of the EV (e.g. acceleration,
recuperation) as well as new concepts of e-mobility driving (e.g. mono
driver cars, car sharing).
- Discuss user interface design issues for EV information systems.
- Address novel techniques of information representation that persuade,
support or warn the driver related to EV-specific information and
attributes.
- Discuss challenges associated with HCI and hardware/software
development in the car.
- Identify key themes for developing a framework for user interfaces in EVs.
- Develop a network to discuss studies that aim for evaluation of
e-mobility related issues.
- Discuss how the new technology of electric vehicles influences
interior design and user interfaces

We aim to address and gather both, academics and practitioners within
the field of automotive research, design and engineering. The workshop
is intended for: HCI researchers in general, who are interested
specifically in the automotive context; experts from the field of
human-computer interaction, computer science, social science and
psychology, who are willing to identify challenges and goals for the
specific characteristics of electric vehicles; automotive user interface
designers and engineers from a scientific and from an industrial
perspective; practitioners from OEMs, automotive industry suppliers and
from other related field of industrial expertise, who want to explore
the challenges of e-mobility.

SUBMISSION DETAILS AND DEADLINES

The workshop organizers invite research presentations from both academia
and industry. Submitted papers should be a maximum of two, four or six
pages in length in ACM format
(http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates).
Papers will be reviewed by multiple members of a program committee
consisting of experts in the area of automotive user interface research.

- Submission Deadline: 31.08.2012
- Author notification of acceptance: 14.09.2012
- Early registration deadline conference: 17.09.2012
- Registration deadline workshops: 24.09.2012
- Camera ready paper due: 01.10.2012
- Workshop at AUI 2012: 17.10.2012

ORGANIZERS

Sebastian Osswald - University of Salzburg
Sebastian Loehmann - University of Munich (LMU)
Daniel Gleyzes - TUM CREATE
Andreas Butz - University of Munich (LMU)
Manfred Tscheligi - University of Salzburg

CONTACT INFORMATION
Twitter: @sosswald
Web: http://www.contextual-interfaces.org/
Email: [log in to unmask]