From:
Krzysztof Gajos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Krzysztof Gajos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2017 11:08:51 -0400
The Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences initiative in Technology for Equitable and Accessible Medicine (TEAM) solicits applications for its inaugural group of Postdoctoral Fellows.  Profs. Krzysztof Gajos <http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~kgajos/> and Barbara Grosz <https://grosz.seas.harvard.edu/> are specifically looking for HCI candidates to join the following TEAM project:

Improving Care Coordination for Children with Complex Chronic Conditions

The effectiveness of outpatient care for children with cancer and other complex conditions depends on coordination across a diverse group of caregivers that includes parents, community support, and pediatric care providers. While a goal-centered care plan is considered a critical tool for coordinating care, such care plans have not been effectively integrated into the pediatric care system, and current health information technology provides insufficient support for their use.

Through close collaboration with patients and providers, we will iteratively design digital interfaces and algorithms to help teams minimize both coordination failures and coordination overhead. We have already conducted formative interviews that will serve as a foundation for this project. Over the next several years, we will develop a prototype intelligent interactive system for supporting complex care teamwork. We will evaluate its usefulness through studies of its use by medical teams caring for children with complex conditions.

This position is available immediately.  The ideal candidate would have a PhD in Human-Computer Interaction or a closely related field.  If accepted, the Fellow will be expected to spend part of his/her time contributing to the existing project and part developing his/her own research agenda broadly related to the making high quality healthcare accessible to more people.  As part of the above project, the Fellow would be expected to co-lead the development of HCI interventions to facilitate more effective care-coordination, participate in the development of interactive prototypes and design and lead the field evaluations of the prototypes.

TEAM Fellows will receive stipends of at least $65,000/year and will receive funding to cover their computing, travel and research needs.  TEAM Fellows are expected to spend two years at Harvard.

Harvard University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We are particularly interested in attracting women and underrepresented groups to participate in TEAM.

Application Procedure

A complete application will include:

·       A cover letter
·       A research statement
·       CV
·       Up to three representative research papers
·       Three letters of reference

Submit your applications directly to Prof. Krzysztof Gajos via email ([log in to unmask]) with subject line TEAM Fellowship Application.  Please ask your letter writers to send letters to the same address.