Sender:
From:
Ryan Aipperspach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 00:22:24 -0600
** Call for participation in a workshop at Pervasive '07 **
(Apologies for cross postings.)

Nurturing Technologies: Pervasive Systems for Self Reflection, Critique,
and Growth
 - at -
Pervasive 2007, the Fifth International Conference on Pervasive
Computing, May 13-16, 2007, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/conferences/pervasive2007/index.phtml

Workshop URL (details and call for participation):
http://www.nurturingtech.org/

Theme:
This workshop will explore applications of pervasive technology beyond
supporting tasks, instead supporting a more fundamental nurturance:
facilitating the long-term growth of people in the face of short-term
distractions and obstacles. Current technologies are generally designed
to optimize performance in the workplace, home, school, or marketplace,
for example by increasing efficiency by minimizing disruptions. In
contrast, this workshop will combine social, cultural, and engineering
perspectives to explore how technology could support nurturance in such
everyday settings and practices, as well as in extraordinary places of
respite, recreation, or inspiration. The goals of the workshop are to
better understand 1) emerging practices of using technology for
nurturance and 2) the larger design space of potential usage models, in
order to suggest new directions for pervasive technology research. It is
a successor to a workshop on Nurturing Technologies in the Home at
UbiComp 2006.

We will explore questions such as the following:

* What kinds of design strategies are appropriate for nurturing
technologies, when we move outside of a narrow focus on task optimization?

* How do we encourage reflexive system evaluation, in which value is
understood not by measuring how well particular problems are solved, but
by judging how important the problems are or how well problems are
redefined?

* How do we integrate these sometimes critical perspectives into
everyday technology design?

* To what extent is focusing on technology the right solution?

Important Dates:

January 26, 2007: Submissions due
March 2, 2007: Acceptances sent
May 13, 2007: Workshop takes place
May 13-16, 2007: Pervasive Conference, Toronto, Canada

Please submit your paper as a Word or PDF file by email to
scottmainwaring [at] gmail.com

Organizers:

  * Scott D. Mainwaring (Intel)
  * Ame Elliott (PARC)
  * Allison Woodruff (Intel)
  * Phoebe Sengers (Cornell)
  * Ryan Aipperspach (University of California, Berkeley)