From:
Scott Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:55:50 -0700

Call for Participation

Workshop: Research Directions for Social Computing

ACM GROUP 2007: Sanibel Island, Florida, USA, November 4 - 7, 2007

The term social computing is used regularly to describe research projects, technology systems, conference sessions, and even research groups, but what are the research questions and strategies that will help move forward a deep understanding of social computing? The commonalities - the causes, effects, and motivations- in the human and technological factors underlying social computing systems are the issues we are searching for with this workshop. Social psychological processes of online groups, crowd behavior in large online forums, social organization structures in online games, identity and deception in online dating sites, and creating and enforcing norms in media-poor environments are examples of work in this purview. How can we pull together a research effort effective and large scale enough to really address these and similar phenomena?

Attempting to identify and define research directions in social computing implies a second goal for the workshop, which is to take a step toward solidifying social computing as a distinct research area, with common methods, theories, and publication outlets. Many researchers are addressing questions in this area, yet often under the rubric of other disciplines. Thus, we hope to use this workshop to bring together researchers that might not normally interact and may bring very different perspectives, but that nonetheless are studying similar phenomena, and to contribute to a roadmap for more organized research, funding, and publication activities going forward.

Proposals

Proposals to participate in the workshop should focus on one of the three topic areas below (or combinations thereof). Given the nature of the workshop goals, note that we anticipate a focus on theory and method over system demonstration.

1. A research issue central to the idea of social computing that illustrates how social science theory is embedded in technical systems

2. An area of study critical to ongoing research in social computing

3. A method for studying social computing.

Attendees will be accepted to the workshop based on 2 page position statements on the meaning of social computing and the research issues they see most cogent to the area, as couched in one or more of the above topic areas. A focus on how the ideas expressed can help establish social computing and carry it forward is encouraged. These position papers will be assembled and distributed to attendees before the conference, with the expectation that readers will read and comment on them before arrival.

Position statements and attendee bios will be made available through a groupware application. Each attendee will be expected to comment on at least one other position paper. In addition, we will recruit and present position papers from researchers representative of these fields who were unable to attend the workshop. Using phone and email interviews, we'll query leading researchers in a variety of disciplines on their perspectives on social computing, and make these available through the groupware before the conference begins.

Please send your proposal statement in Word or PDF format to Scott Counts ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) and Cliff Lampe ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

Deadlines

Deadline for submissions will be September 15. We will screen submissions for quality and relevance to the workshop. Announcements of acceptance will be sent on October 1. The workshop is Sunday, November 4, 2007.

Organizers

Scott Counts - Microsoft Research

Cliff Lampe - Michigan State University

Conference webpage: http://www.acm.org/conferences/group/conferences/group07/