Sender:
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 2020 08:26:13 +0100
From:
Linda Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

ONLINE HALF-DAY STUDIO (4h) ON:

*Exploring Novel and Advanced Materials for the Smart Urban Built Environment*

In conjunction with TEI 2021: https://tei.acm.org/2021/

Friday 19th of February 2021, exact time slots tbd.

Studio website: https://hci.sbg.ac.at/sites/material-meets-city/

AIM AND SCOPE

In this hands-on, virtual studio we explore novel, traditional, and smart materials to conceptualise applications for the smart urban built environment. Our aim is to bring together individuals with diverse backgrounds and expertise to ideate, conceptualise and discuss novel and advanced material experiences in the urban realm. As attendee, you will have the opportunity to gather a deeper understanding of novel and conventional materials enhanced with advanced properties. Specifically, we will present samples of translucent and capacitive concrete, translucent wood and wood-based 3D printable filament. We will also share our experiences and learnings of designing with these novel materials. At the end of the  studio, we will discuss the applicability of existing theoretical frameworks to specific contexts in the urban built environment, focusing on use-cases for the presented materials as well as challenges and speculations for interaction instances.

PARTICIPATION
Grab a seat to this studio by submitting a short bio, an expression of interest (300 words max.), photographs of three locations in your vicinity (heritage, community and public spaces) and three materials you find of interest (novel/unconventional, traditional and/or smart materials).

Submissions via this form.

Deadline for expression of interest: January 30, 2021

We are looking forward to your submissions and the compelling discussions during the studio!

ORGANIZERS

Linda Hirsch - LMU, Munich

Eleni Economidou - Center for Human-Computer Interaction, University of Salzburg

Irina Paraschivoiu - Center for Human-Computer Interaction, University of Salzburg

Tanja Döring - Digital Media Lab, University of Bremen

Andreas Butz - LMU, Munich