From:
Kathi Fisler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathi Fisler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 May 2011 21:05:07 -0400
	 Workshop: Designing Human-Intensive Software Systems
	   https://sites.google.com/site/hisdworkshop2011/

		   In conjunction with VL/HCC 2011
	      September 18, 2011, CMU (Pittsburgh, USA)

CALL FOR PAPERS

How should we design systems in which software and people must
collaborate to perform critical or sensitive tasks?  This workshop
seeks to bring together researchers from the human and software
sciences to discuss challenges, techniques, and ideas around designing
effective human-intensive software systems.

This will be a true workshop (no formal proceedings), emphasizing
discussion over presentations and publications.  Our goals are to
spark discussion across software- and human-science experts and to
identify a core of interesting case studies and problems to drive
research in this area.

We welcome two kinds of submissions:

* Proposed case studies: A 2-4 page description of a specific
  human-intensive software system. Accepted case studies will be used
  to frame discussions during the workshop.  Submissions should
  describe the problem domain, contextual assumptions, overall system
  goals, design challenges, and what each of the software and human
  components must do for the system to make progress.  Descriptions of
  failed systems are also welcome.  If the author has experience
  observing or implementing their case study system, brief description
  of that perspective would be instructive.

* Position papers: A 1-4 page description of an interesting research
  question or perspective on any aspect of the design of such systems
  (such as useful techniques for scoping systems, requirements
  gathering, modeling, testing, etc).

TOPICS OF INTEREST

We are interested in broad perspectives on designing systems that
manage software-human collaboration.  Questions to explore include:

* What questions should we ask about human context while scoping
  requirements of such systems?
* How can the software design mitigate risks of people
  circumventing its security or safety features?
* How do we identify the sweet spot between a system remaining
  flexible for human context and reliability or security?
* How do we model interactions and acceptable exceptional actions
  of people and software?
* What mistakes led to failures of prior human-intensive software
  systems?

Insights from software engineering, HCI, cognitive science, and
behavioral economics on these or related questions are all welcome.

IMPORTANT DATES

 * Case study proposals due June 1, 2011 (hard deadline)
 * Case study notification: June 8, 2011
 * Final descriptions due July 15, 2011

 * Position paper submissions due June 30, 2011 (hard deadline)
 * Position paper notification: July 15, 2011
 * Final position papers due Sept 1, 2011

Submission URL: http://continue2.cs.brown.edu/hisd11/

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Kathi Fisler (co-chair), WPI, [log in to unmask]
Hadar Ziv (co-chair), University of California-Irvine, [log in to unmask]
George Avrunin, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Philip Inglesant, University College London and University of Edinburgh
Emerson Murphy-Hill, North Carolina State University
Debra Richardson, University of California, Irvine
Revi Sterling, University of Colorado, Boulder