Sender:
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2017 01:44:49 +0200
From:
amon rapp <[log in to unmask]>
UbiComp/ISWC 2017 Workshop: Deadline Extension

New deadline: June 21, 2017

Apologies for multiple postings.

****** Call for Papers ******
New frontiers of Quantified Self 3: Exploring understudied categories of
users

International Workshop at the 2017 ACM International Joint Conference on
Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing (UbiComp), and the International
Symposium on Wearable Computers (ISWC), September 11-15, 2017 - Maui,
Hawaii, USA.

Workshop homepage: https://newfrontiersqs3.wordpress.com/

Submission to: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=nfqs3

For any inquiries please email: [log in to unmask]

****** Important Dates ******

Deadline for submissions: June 21, 2017 (NEW)
Response to authors: June 30, 2017
Camera ready submission deadline: July 10, 2017
Workshop day: September 12, 2017

All the accepted papers will be included in the ACM Digital Library and in
the supplemental proceedings of the UbiComp Conference.

****** Motivation ******
The Quantified Self (QS) movement, which is also known as Personal
Informatics (PI), has the aim to collect and use personal data through
technological means for self-reflection and self-knowledge. Over recent
years, a plethora of self-tracking devices have been developed both for
research and commercial purposes. As a result, the practice of tracking
personal data has also spread outside the avant-garde circle of quantified
selfers, reaching a broader user population. However, despite a growing
understanding of how self-trackers track, we know far less about how these
tools can be used in specific contexts and communities of practice.

This is due to the fact that research has had a focus on the act of
tracking per se, rather than the characteristics of the users, often
exclusively emphasizing behavior change goals. This bias, on the one hand,
has narrowed our perspective on the QS phenomenon, reducing its likely
multifaceted nature to a common ground, and, on the other hand, risks
undermining our capability to design PI tools for novel and specific
contexts, characterized by individual’s existing habits and purposes.

In this new edition of the workshop we aim at exploring how specific, and
still understudied, categories of users might track to address their
personal and situated needs, how we can better design for them, and what
particular user groups could be impacted by the increasing availability of
personal data. This could also provide new opportunities for envisioning
how collections of digital traces could go beyond behavior change to
investigate new personalized services in e.g. work, education,
entertainment, transportation, and health.

For example: how could people with mental disabilities, like autism or
dementia, take advantage of the growing opportunities for tracking mental
states? How could patients with a chronic disease, like diabetes, better
manage their illness through QS tools? How could particular groups of
workers, like employees, be affected by the pervasiveness of tracking, and
what kind of ethical issues could arise? What kind of QS tools need to
improve to support learning in elementary schools?

Toward this aim, it is necessary to consider a range of issues including:
i) how the same data may have different meanings for different user groups;
ii) how this information can be analyzed by populations that may have
specific interaction needs;
iii) what kind of issues QS technologies should face when aiming at
integrating in existing habits/conditions;
iv) how design can deal with ethical issues that may vary depending on the
context;
v) how to make the data available in a useful form for people with limited
technical expertise so they can explore the particular issues that matter
to them.

****** Topics of interest ******
Relevant workshop topics include but are not limited to:
i) Novel self-tracking tools (e.g. wearable and ubiquitous technologies,
mobile apps, etc.) for specific user groups, like stroke patients, manual
workers, cyclists, etc.;
ii) Novel visualizations of personal data for people with distinctive
interaction needs
iii) Methodologies and technologies for transforming data into knowledge
and to help users make sense of their own data;
iv) Applications and services enabled by personal data in particular
contexts;
v) Thought-provoking insights and theoretical reflections on how
self-tracking tools could impact specific user groups in the future, and
how we can face the challenges that this diversity poses for the
research/design of QS tools
vi) Use cases that investigate the effectiveness of novel QS solutions for
understudied user groups
vii) Novel interfaces and approaches for making QS data actionable and more
understandable

****** Workshop format ******
The one-day workshop will be divided in a presentation phase in which
participants will briefly present their works and a design phase in which
they will have to imagine, through small-group work, new solutions for
getting closer the Quantified Self systems to the needs of specific user
groups. To this aim, we will use a format aimed at quickly generating many
ideas and solutions to a problem through sketching, exposition and critique.

****** Submissions ******

We will accept both position papers and research papers, case studies,
future research challenges and reflections, four-to-six pages long.

Papers will be reviewed by the program committee based on their pertinence
with the workshop topics, quality of the exposition and, mainly, potential
to trigger discussions and insights for inspiring the design of new
solutions during the workshop.

All workshop papers must be in the SIGCHI Extended Abstract format. Papers
should be in pdf format, should not be anonymized and should be submitted
to:

https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=nfqs3

The deadline for submission is June 21, 2017.

****** Proceedings ******
The accepted workshop papers will be included in the ACM Digital Library
and in the supplemental proceedings of the UbiComp Conference. After the
workshop, we also plan to organize a special issue with the most relevant
contributions in an International Journal.

****** Organizers ******

Amon Rapp, University of Torino
Federica Cena, University of Torino
Judy Kay, University of Sydney
Bob Kummerfeld, University of Sydney
Frank Hopfgartner, University of Glasgow
Till Plumbaum, Technische Universität Berlin
Jakob Eg Larsen, Technical University of Denmark
Daniel A. Epstein, University of Washington
Rúben Gouveia, Madeira Interactive Technologies