From:
Alexander Wiethoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alexander Wiethoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2013 15:43:11 +0200
TEI 2014 is the eighth international conference dedicated to presenting the latest results in tangible, embedded, and embodied interaction. It will be held 16th to 19th February 2014 at the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU), Munich, Germany.
The work presented at TEI addresses HCI issues, design, interactive art, user experience, tools and technologies, with a strong focus on how computing can bridge atoms and bits into cohesive interactive systems. The intimate size of this single-track conference provides a unique forum for exchanging ideas and presenting innovative work through talks, interactive exhibits, demos, hands-on studios, posters, art installations and performances.

Call for Arts Track Submissions

	• October 10, 2013: Arts Track Submissions Deadline
	• November 22, 2013: Notification of Acceptance

General Infos

Our daily life is characterized by an increasing quantity of digital data, global networking and changes in the equilibrium on our planet Earth. We face significant questions about personal and social context. There is growing sensory-rich data from biometric, health, neo-analog, DIY culture and geophysical sensing that expands our ability to augment or shift our perspectives and our knowledge. As we reconsider our identity within the internet of things, how can we incorporate the tangible, embodied and embedded technologies that bring awareness to ourselves as individuals and as communities.

The Arts Track at TEI 2014 is looking for artworks whose concepts reflect our sensory connection with each other and with ourselves. We invite interactive artworks exploring physical, digital, and networked connections, artworks that represent our embodied potential through the world of data that only exists in our imagination, and artworks that offer haptic and multisensory experiences in the dialog with them.

Artworks can range from digital interactive installations to all sorts of tangible, embedded and embodied experiments.

Topics of interest may include, but are not limited to:

	• Designing artwork by physical interaction, traditional crafts and digital design tools, fashion, robotics, and kinetic sculptures. The extension of design language by programming, the return to the materiality in digital artwork.
	• The internet of things. The compensation of loss of orientation in digital age, parallel society and new states in the virtual world, virtual communities or the neighbor from next door, human needs and the global data space.
	• The quantified self and its reflection in increasing amounts of data, aspects of quality, selection and credibility.
	• Our planet and our sustainable relationship with it.
The Arts Track welcomes work from a wide range of practitioners in areas such as interaction design, engineering, fine arts, research or art, including submissions from students and independent practitioners.

More information: http://www.tei-conf.org/14/arts_call.php

Student Design Challenge

Important Dates

	• October 10, 2013: Student Design Challenge Submissions Deadline

It's magic!

In his three laws Arthur C. Clarke says that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. This year magic will unfold new facets of technology at TEI. Design a tangible object or performance that will awe the TEI community. Build a prompt, scenario or costume that will challenge our assumptions of normality and will let your team have a Copperfield moment.

More Information: http://www.tei-conf.org/14/design_call.php

--
Dr. Alexander Wiethoff
University of Munich (LMU)