If you wish to attend Prof. Diaper's inaugural lecture then please
request a reservation as soon as possible as numbers are limited.
There will be a chance to question Prof. Diaper after his lecture
and a reception will be held afterwards.
[log in to unmask]
Inaugural Lecture. 6:30pm, Thursday 29th. May, 1997.
Dan Diaper , Ph.D., MBCS
Professor of Systems Science and Engineering
Head of the Department of Computing
School of Design, Engineering and Computing
``It is ambition enough to be employed as an under-labourer
in clearing the ground a little, and removing some of
the rubbish which lies in the way to knowledge.''
John Locke, 1632-1704
``Process Thinking'' provides an alternative way of dealing with the
world from traditional, Western philosophical approaches without
recourse to Eastern mysticism, New Age-ism or other such exotica.
A particular process thinking model has been developed, based on the
following five concepts:
Process Relativity Consciousness Functionality Systems
The process thinking model will be illustrated by retroactively
applying it to research on:
* Experimental Cognitive Psychology;
* Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Neural Nets;
* Task Analysis in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI)
and Software Engineering;
* Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Intelligent
* Speech Recognition and Synthesis;
* Expert/Knowledge Based Systems (KBS) and Knowledge Elicitation;
* Multimedia User Interface Design (UID), Hypertext and Expertext;
* Software Quality Assurance (QA);
* Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW) and Groupware;
* Business Process Reengineering (BPR);
* Global Computing.
The process thinking model will also be applied to examples from
everyday life because once a person acquires a process
thinking approach then it will have profound effects on
their perception and behaviour. This will be so because
process thinking provides radically different views and solutions
that are sufficiently powerful that they seduce their
owners into applying the approach to everything. Furthermore,
it is not clear if the intellectual discomfort currently
associated with process thinking is because: (i) it differs
from previously learned Western logical traditions; (ii) it's
lonely thinking differently from nearly everyone else; or
(iii) it is inherently uncomfortable.
As a demonstration of the claimed power of the process thinking
approach, a system design will be presented as a means of
increasing the domestic computer market .
* The Jeeves System is a proposal for the design of a domestic
computer system that is novel and represents to industry and
commerce a completely new, multi-billion, international market.
* Jeeves will be presented as a research and development programme
along with closely tied manufacturing and marketing plans, all
scoped to a variety of investment levels.
Christine Keenan [log in to unmask]