From:
"Shneiderman, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shneiderman, Ben
Date:
Sun, 3 May 2009 17:05:33 -0400
Dear CHI-colleagues,

  I'm pleased to announce the availability of the 5th edition of Designing the User Interface.  We're eager to let CHI professionals and researchers
know that the whole book is revised to cover the worldwide phenomenon of mobile devices, user-generated content, and social media participation.  We've also given full chapters to Search and to Info Visualization and done our best to promote universally usable designs throughout.

  This thoroughly updated resource has extensive fresh material and references in every chapter.  Catherine Plaisant is again my co-author, and we have two others who contributed lots of hard work in doing this update with 160 fresh screen grabs.

  The opening makes an even more ambitious attempt to position user
interfaces as the critical determinant of consumer product and
professional tool success.  I've been getting bolder in claiming
HCI's role for successes such as cell phones, iPhones, YouTube, Netflix,
Amazon, etc.  The revised theory discussion should be more accessible to newcomers and promote the role of theory in practice and research.  The Afterword again takes on the concerns of social impact and eight enduring controversies in our field, e.g. user control vs. autonomous agents and 2D vs 3D.

  I think you will enjoy seeing that we used a full page wordle display
for each chapter opening - I love them and they really show that each
chapter is about 'users' but each has a distinct set of terms,
wonderfully rendered by Jonathan Feinberg's clever program.  You can see
two sample chapters (including the wordle) and other info on the book at
our web site:
   http://www.pearsonhighered.com/dtui5einfo

  Those who are considering adoption for academic and professional courses can request a review copy from our editor Michael Hirsch ([log in to unmask]).  The book is available on Amazon and elsewhere.

  It's very satisfying to see the continued progress of our field and its increasing influence.

      Sincerely, Ben Shneiderman, Univ of Maryland