Sender:
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 17:49:16 +0000
From:
Florian Alt <[log in to unmask]>
[DEADLINE EXTENSION: New Deadline is March, 16th 2012!]

FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS

5th INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON PERVASIVE ADVERTISING (PerAd5)
In conjunction with Pervasive 2012, 19 June 2012, Newcastle, UK

Submission Deadline: March 16, 2012 (Extended)

At the focus of this workshop we are interested in novel applications of pervasive computing technologies for advertising purposes. Pervasive Advertising is finally gaining importance at a rapidly accelerating pace also outside of research labs, and policy makers, industrial players, and citizen have difficulty in keeping up. The success of this workshop series in exploring and structuring the field has recently been demonstrated by the book on Pervasive Advertising that has been co-authored by leading researchers of the community. The exponential developments identified in the book keep pushing the field forward, and we believe it is crucial to continue the workshop series as a venue for recent developments.

The overall topic of the workshop is the application of Pervasive Computing technologies for advertising purposes. This topic is of particular interest at this time because advertising is considered by multiple researchers as one main business models for pervasive computing. The market is rapidly growing, and major companies (Apple iAd, JCDecaux, Wall, ClearChannel, Google etc.) are invested in pervasive advertising projects. The main hindrance today is that advertisers lack the technological skills, and pervasive computing researchers and practitioners lack the advertising knowledge and experience. Furthermore, these groups rarely talk to each other.

We believe that currently we stand at a crossroads between well-done pervasive advertising, where entrepreneurs and customers interests are equally valued (where many people can be both at the same time), and high-quality advertising is calm, but provides great experiences and fun, while respecting privacy, and badly-done pervasive advertising, where entrepreneurs and customers fight each other, and low-quality pervasive advertising spies on customers and annoys them.

Based on the success of previous workshops we envision to continue and further establish the workshop series as a prime venue bringing together people from academia and practice, hence driving forward research in the field of Pervasive Advertising. We believe that our research community has a responsibility to contribute towards a joint understanding of how pervasive advertising of the future will look like. To this end, this workshop looks at the future of advertising from the perspective of pervasive computing. It aims to provide a foundational structure for the field and will attempt to sketch a roadmap for further research and deployment challenges in this domain. As the field is maturing and the main questions have been defined, we will provide space for group work focusing on the current issues in the field of pervasive advertising.

We hence invite papers that address any relevant issues, focused on but not limited to

	• Digital Signage Advertising
	• Mobile Advertising
	• Calm vs. Engaging Advertising
	• Lessons from Deployments
	• Audience Measurement and Personalization
	• Economic Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
	• Location and context-based advertising
	• Tracking technologies for advertising (GPS, RFID, GSM, Bluetooth, sensors, vision)
	• Techniques for assessing sensor data
	• Advertising in electronic news papers and e-books
	• Mixing content with advertisement
	• New pervasive computing technologies that are applicable to advertising
	• Dealing with limited attention (SPAM prevention in the real world)
	• Privacy and pervasive advertisements
	• Technologies: Smart home, RFID, ubiquitous payments and value transfer, location and context awareness, agents.
	• Legal: intellectual property protection, access to intellectual property, privacy protection, ownership of personal data.
	• Social: effects on structures, emergent social practices, effects on roles within social organization units.
	• Economics: pricing of ubiquitous services, valuation of goodwill and information goods, fair pricing for personal data and privacy.
	• Business: ubiquitous business models, supply chain management and optimization, industrial design, process design, ubiquitous product development, customer relationship management.
	• Experience design: appliances, architecture and building, ubiquitous commerce spaces.
PAPER SUBMISSION AND PARTICIPATION

We ask potential attendees to submit position papers describing how their research relates to the particular focus on the workshop. Position papers should also include a description of ongoing research, results obtained, experience gathered, new ideas, future projects or questions on topics related to pervasive advertising and shopping. All submissions will be peer-reviewed by at least 3 top researchers and practitioners in the field.

More information can be found at http://pervasiveadvertising.org

All position papers must be submitted via email to Florian Alt:

Papers should be no longer than 10 pages. All papers must be submitted in PDF in Springer LNCS format. At least one author for each accepted paper is expected to attend the workshop.

Accepted papers will be published in the Workshop Proceedings of Pervasive 2012 and on the workshop website. Selected papers from the workshop may be considered for expansion and inclusion in a special issue of Personal and Ubiquitous Computing (PUC).

IMPORTANT DATES

March 16, 2012: Deadline for electronic submission
April 2, 2012: Author Notification
April 20, 2012: Submission of camera-ready
June 19, 2012: Workshop at Newcastle, UK

ORGANIZERS

JΦRG MάLLER is a senior researcher at Deutsche Telekom Laboratories, Berlin.His research interests are interaction with digital signage and pervasive advertising.

FLORIAN ALT is a researcher in the Human-Computer Interaction Group at the University of Stuttgart (Germany). The main focus of his research is on context-sensitive advertising, implicit and explicit interaction with public displays, and on exploring pervasive displays as a future communication medium.

DANIEL MICHELIS is professor at Anhalt University of Applied Science. In his research he focuses on social technologies and the shift from an economy of attention to an economy of engagement.

BO BEGOLE is a Principal Scientist at the Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) where he leads PARC’s Ubiquitous Computing research area and is the author of "Ubiquitous Computing for Business" (FT Press, March 2011). His ambition is to invent novel interactive systems that eliminate technology barriers between information and people by making systems that are smarter about what people are trying to accomplish.