ADVANCE PROGRAM AND FINAL CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: CVE 2000
ACM Collaborative Virtual Environments 2000
Sponsored by ACM SIGGRAPH, SIGGROUP and SIGCHI
September 10th-12th, Cathedral Hill Hotel,
San Francisco, USA
***LESS THAN 2 WEEKS TO GO***
***Registration available on-site or by website***
CVE 2000 is an international conference dedicated to the design,
development and use of collaborative virtual environments (CVEs). It is =
third conference in this bi-annual series, (the first supported by the =
and attracts delegates from a wide number of fields. A CVE is a
computer-based, distributed, virtual space or set of places. In such
places, people can meet and interact with others, with agents or with
virtual objects. CVEs might vary in their representational richness =
graphical spaces, 2.5D and 2D environments, to text based environments. =
instantiation of the CVE is by no means limited to desktop devices, but
might well include mobile or wearable devices, public kiosks, etc.
The aim of the CVE conferences is to inspire fruitful discussion and
encourage information flow between practitioners of different =
Previous CVE conferences (CVE'96 and CVE'98) have attracted delegates =
computer science, psychology, sociology, architecture & urban planning,
cultural & media studies and Artificial Intelligence.
Sunday 10 September 2000:
1. "Systems Aspects of Sharing a Virtual Environment"
Michael Capps, Naval Postgraduate School, USA
Chris Greenhalgh, University of Nottingham, UK
2. "Combining CVE's and Other Real-Time Communication Media"
Samuli Pekkola, University of Jyv=E4skyl=E4, Finland
Mike Robinson, University of Jyv=E4skyl=E4, Finland
3. "Voltage in the Milky Night: The Future of CVEs"
Alan Munro, Napier University, Edinburgh, UK
Andrew McGrath, BT Adastral Park, Suffolk, UK
Elaine Raybourn, Sandia National Labs, New Mexico, USA
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Monday, 11 September 2000:
Welcome: Elizabeth Churchill and Dave Snowdon, CVE 2000 Conference =
Keynote Speech : Alan Dix
Session 1 : Research Landscapes
* Samuli Pekkola, Mike Robinson, Markku-Juhani O. Saarinen, Jonni
Korhonen, Saku Hujala, Tero Toivonen:
"Collaborative Virtual Environments in the Year of the Dragon"
* Michael L. W. Jones:
"Collaborative Virtual Conferences: Using Exemplars to Shape Future
* Mike Fraser, Tony Glover, Ivan Vaghi, Steve Benford, Chris =
Jon Hindmarsh, Christian Heath:
"Revealing the Realities of Collaborative Virtual Reality"
Session 2 : Mixed and Augmented Reality I
* Wolfgang Broll, Eckhard Meier, Thomas Schardt:
"The Virtual Round Table - A Collaborative Augmented Multi-User =
* Monika B=FCscher, Michael Christensen, Kaj Gr=F8nb=E6k, Peter Krogh, =
Mogensen, Dan Shapiro, Peter =D8rb=E6k
"Collaborative Augmented Reality Environments: Integrating VR, Working
Materials, and Distributed Work Spaces"
* Mike Daily, Mike Howard, Jason Jerald, Craig Lee, Kevin Martin, Doug
McInnes, Pete Tinker, Randall C. Smith:
"Distributed Design Review in Virtual Environments"
Session 3 : Learning and Collaborating
* Margaret Corbit, Bonnie DeVarco
"SciCentr and BioLearn: Two 3D Implementations of CVE Science Museums"
* Kyoung Park, Abhinav Kapoor, Jason Leigh
"Lessons Learned from Employing Multiple Perspectives in a =
Virtual Environment for Visualizing Scientific Data"
* Randolph L. Jackson, Eileen Fagan
"Collaboration and Learning within Immersive Virtual Reality"
Informal poster session
Reception and Evening Keynote: Bruce Damer
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Tuesday, 12 September 2000:
Session 4 : Expression in Virtual Environments
* Ben Salem, Nic Earle:
"Designing a Non-Verbal Language for Expressive Avatars"
* M. Slater, J. Howel, A. Steed, D-P. Pertaub, M. Garau:
"Acting in Virtual Reality"
* Isabel Machado, Rui Prada, Ana Paiva:
"Bringing Drama into a Virtual Stage"
Session 5 : Under the Hood - Technical Issues
* Chris Greenhalgh, Jim Purbrick, Dave Snowdon:
"Inside MASSIVE-3: Flexible Support for Data Consistency and World
* Thierry Duval, David Margery:
"Building Objects and Interactors for Collaborative Interactions with =
* Manual Oliveira, Jon Crowcroft, Mel Slater:
"Component Framework Infrastructure for Virtual Environments"
Session 6 : Mixed and Augmented Reality II
* Norbert Schiffner, Hartmut Chodura:
"Mediazine - A Combination of Television, Radio, WWW, Telecommunication =
3D Computer Sound and Graphics"
* Hioyuki Tarumi, Ken Morishita, Yusuke Ito, Yahiko Kambayashi
Communication Through Virtual Active Objects Overlaid onto the Real =
* Josef Widestr=F6m, Ann-Sofie Axelsson, Ralph Schroeder, Alexander =
Ilona Heldal, =C5sa Abelin:
"The Collaborative Cube Puzzle: A Comparison of Virtual and Real
Session 7 : Embodied Interactions
* Phillip Jeffrey, Andrew McGrath
"Sharing Serendipity in the Workplace"
* Elisabeth Cuddihy, Deborah Walters
"Embodied Interaction in Social Virtual Environments"
* Mike Craven, Steve Benford, Chris Greenhalgh, John Wyver, =
Brazier, Amanda Oldroyd, Tim Regan:
"Ages of Avatar: Community Building for Inhabited Television"
Thanks and closing comments: Elizabeth Churchill and Dave Snowdon, CVE =
* i3 Poster Session: "i3 Work in Collaborative Virtual Environments"
* Thorsten Hampel, Reinhard Keil-Slawik:
"A Collaborative Document Management Environment for Teaching and =
* Roberto C. Portugal, Luis A. Guerrero, David A. Fuller:
"DeskTOP, a System Based on Virtual Spaces to Support and to Promote
* Oliver G. Staadt, Markus H. Gross, Andreas Kunz, Markus Meier:
"The Blue-C: Integrating Real Humans into a Networked Immersive =
* Sita Popat, Kia Ng, Jacqueline Smith-Autard:
"Hands-On Dance Project: Creative Dance Collaborations Online"
* Vincent Rodin, Val=E9ry Raulet, Alexis N=E9d=E9lec:
"Using a Multiagent Language for Collaborative Interactive Prototyping"
* Yasuhiro Yamazaki, Jens Herder:
"Exploring Spatial Audio Conferencing Functionality in Multiuser =
* Susan Turner, Phil Turner, Liisa Dawson, Alan Munro:
"DISCOVERing the Impact of Reality"
* Christopher Peri:
"ARCHVILLE: A Pedagogy for Teaching Collaboration in a VR Environment"
* Stanislav L. Stoev, Tobias H=FCttner, Wolfgang Stra=DFer
"Accelerated Rendering in Stereo-Based Projections"