Sender:
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2018 08:46:26 +0000
Subject:
From:
Marianna Obrist <[log in to unmask]>
We are proud to announce our two keynote speakers for a 1-day event on "The Future of Computing & Food” - co-sponsored by the ACM Future of Computing Academy (ACM-FCA), and co-located with the International Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces (AVI) 2018, in Italy end of May!

===
**Chef Jozef Youssef**
Kitchen Theory Founder & Chef Patron

**Dr Kirill Veselkov**
Waters Lecturer in Data Analytics and Computational Medicine, Department of Surgery and Cancer, Imperial College London, UK and Member of the WEF Global Agenda Council on the Future of Computing
===

You may ask, what does a Chef & a Data Analyst have in common?
Short answer: They will both be at the Resort Riva del Sole, Castiglione della Pescaia, Grosseto, Italy on Tuesday May, 31st, 2018.

Come and join the discussion:
• 15th April 2018 – Expression of Interest to participate to (m.obrist [at] sussex.ac.uk)
• 30th April 2018 – Expression of Interest to give a 10min Inspiration Talk, please send a max. 400 words Abstract to (m.obrist [at] sussex.ac.uk)
• Register for the event (see special offer by AVI 2018 conference, https://sites.google.com/dis.uniroma1.it/avi2018/registration)
• 31st May 2018 — One-day event on "The Future of Computing & Food”

Please find more information here:
ACM-FCA http://www.acm-fca.org/fca-calendar/

===

The goal of this event is to formulate a Manifesto on the interwoven Future of Computing and Food. This manifesto will get inspiration from the debate raised by different and sometimes antipodal perspectives on food like for instance the ‘infamous’ Manifesto of Futurist Cuisine written by Filippo Tommaso Marinetti in 1909, and the avantgarde’s riposte of the Slow Food Manifesto published by Gambero Rosso on 1987. Our Manifesto will envisage the future of food with the emergence of computing technology that is changing the way we cook, eat, drink and experience food. Moreover, Molecular Gastronomy and Computational Gastronomy are emerging  fields of research that enrich the discussion around Computing and Food from an interdisciplinary and multi-stakeholder perspective. New data-driven approaches, such as network analysis and data mining, are explored to illustrate for instance the chemical relationships between culinary ingredients across the globe [Ahnert 2013]. Taken together, this event will address pressing questions on the intersection between technology and food, such as: How will we design and innovate considering food/mouth/digesting system as an interface? How will the future computing landscape explore this interaction design?

The human sense of taste and smell have become a target for interaction design and Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) research [Spence et al. 2017]. While fields such as sensory science, chemistry, biology, and molecular gastronomy have advanced our understanding on sensory perception, the interactive experiences that can be created based on taste and smell remain widely unexplored within HCI [Obrist et al. 2017]. We have only recently started to understand the dimensions and features of taste and smell for multisensory experience design [Obrist et al. 2016]. However, we still lack guidance on which of those dimensions/features are relevant to account for in multisensory interaction and experience design. Hence, in order to inform the design of future gustatory, olfactory, and ultimately multisensory interfaces/interactions we need to establish a more detailed understanding of the design space for taste and smell in relation to technology.

===

For more information please get in touch with the organizers:

	• Marianna Obrist, University of Sussex, UK
	• Patrizia Marti, University of Siena, Italy
	• Carlos Velasco, BI Norwegian Business School, Norway
	• Yunwen Tu, Food Design, San Francisco, USA
	• Takuji Narumi, University of Tokyo, Japan
	• Naja L. Holten Møller, University of Copenhagen, Denmark