From:
Cleidson de Souza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cleidson de Souza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:19:44 -0300
IEEE Software Special Issue on the Cooperative and Human Aspects of
Software Engineering

Submission Deadline: April 8, 2009.

Publication: Nov./Dec. 2009.

We are soliciting papers for a special issue of IEEE Software focusing
on the cooperative and human aspects of software engineering (CHASE).
We seek high quality examples of multi-disciplinary research and
practice that explore how cooperative and human aspects affect how
software is created and evolved, both in terms of the challenges and
the successes which arise when the human aspect is considered. We are
looking for papers with practical reliable insights that can be
applied in real-world software development contexts.  We are
interested in papers across the domain of software engineering (e.g.,
requirements, development, testing).  All papers, however, must
address either cooperative or human aspects as they relate to software
engineering.  Possible topics include, but are not limited to:

- Software engineering as cooperative work;

- Industrial experience reports examining the influence of CHASE in
software projects, such as the influence of personality, leadership or
effective teamwork in software development teams;

- Social and cultural aspects of software engineering;

- Psychological and cognitive aspects of software engineering;

- Coordination in large scale software development; and

- Cooperation between software developers and other professionals over
the lifetime of a system.

Examples of types of contribution include:

- Case studies of industrial practice with respect to CHASE,

- Experience reports of how CHASE issues challenged or were addressed
in the context of a software development project,

- Empirical studies of software engineering teams and individual
software engineers in situ, using approaches such as ethnographies,
surveys, interviews, contextual inquiries, data mining, etc.,

- Lab studies of individual and team software engineering behavior as
long as the insights can be applied in real-world settings,

- Novel tools motivated by observed needs such as new ways of
capturing and accessing software-related knowledge, navigational
systems, communication, collaboration, and awareness tools,
visualizations, etc.  The motivation for such tools must be clearly
linked to the cooperative and/or human aspects of software
engineering, and

- Novel processes motivated by observed issues in cooperation and/or
human aspects.

Manuscripts must not exceed 5,400 words including figures and tables,
which count for 200 words each. Submissions in excess of these limits
may be rejected without refereeing. The articles we deem within the
theme's scope will be peer-reviewed and are subject to editing for
magazine style, clarity, organization, and space. We reserve the right
to edit the title of all submissions. Be sure to include the name of
the theme or special issue you are submitting for.

Articles should have a practical orientation, and be written in a
style accessible to practitioners. Overly complex, purely research-
oriented or theoretical treatments are not appropriate. Articles
should be novel. IEEE Software does not re-publish material published
previously in other venues, including other periodicals and formal
conference/workshop proceedings, whether previous publication was in
print or in electronic form.

Interested authors can contact [log in to unmask] with
questions about appropriate content.  For questions about author
guidelines or submission details, please contact IEEE Software  at [log in to unmask]
.

Guest Editors:

- Janice Singer, National Research Council Canada

- Cleidson de Souza, Universidade Federal do Par, Brazil

- Li-Te Cheng, IBM Research, USA

- Gina Venolia, Microsoft Research, USA