From:
Alan Dix <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2020 16:36:16 +0100
HISTORY OF HUMAN–COMPUTER  INTERACTION
remember the past to look to the future

A virtual workshop – 7th July 2020

https://hcibook.net/hcihistory/

This workshop will bring together those interested in preserving the
fragile history of human–computer interaction.  This includes those
interested in the strategies to support such endeavours in both HCI and
related areas (within and outside academia), and also those seeking to
understand the lessons past HCI holds for the on-going development of the
field.

We hope that this workshop we will start a process to ensure the
preservation of the history of HCI and also, by examining our own cultural
preservation, understand the tools and infrastructure necessary to benefit
cultural heritage more broadly.  Although in some ways focused on the past,
one core lesson of history is that it is easy to forget the lessons of
history; by understanding the past we create the seedbed for better and
more informed future interactions.
See more of the vision of the workshop at:
https://hcibook.net/hcihistory/about/

PARTICIPATION
Please submit a 1-2 page position statement through the workshop website.
In addition feel free to submit additional information such as links or
pointers to resources, personal reminiscences, and descriptions of systems
of software for curating or collecting heritage.  These will be made
available to all participants electronically before the workshop.  We hope
that material from the workshop will in due course form the basis for a
volume in the Springer History of Computing Series as well as creating an
on-going online resource for the community.

The final deadline for submissions is 23rd June 2020, but we will review
submissions on a rolling basis and will use these to update the website and
start an online conversion.

Participants may have a variety of different roles, including, but not
limited to:

   - *source* – those bringing or having access to documentation, artefacts
   or personal memories, either directly or through their institutions or
   contact networks
   - *historian* – those interested in understanding the history of HCI,
   either HCI people wanting to use this to understand their own past and
   future, or historians interested in the history of technology
   - *futureologist* – those seeking to foresee upcoming trends and
   directions based on past experiences
   - *designer/developer* – those interested in the tools and techniques
   for eliciting, preserving, study and use of this kind of material
   - *disseminator* – those willing help report and curate the outcomes,
   and any potential resources which emerge from the workshop

We welcome contributions related to more recent areas of HCI such as
human–robot interaction, human–¬data interaction or the rise of UX as well
as the older origins of the field.

This workshop was originally intended to run as part of British HCI 2020,
which has been postponed; so the impact of UK HCI will be one focus.
However, we welcome and encourage contributions relating to all aspects of
HCI anywhere in the world.  Come tell your own stories, and celebrate those
of your colleagues past and present.

FORMAT OF THE DAY
Details to be formulated – we are learning how to do this virtually!  We
expect a mix of plenary videoconference sessions, breakout groups and gaps
for independent work, such as writing, gathering resources, etc.

ORGANISING COMMITTEE
Alan Dix, Computational Foundry, Swansea University
Michael Harrison, University of Newcastle and Swansea University
John Knight, Aalto University, Finland
Stephen Lindsay,  Computational Foundry, Swansea University
Tom McEwan, independent
Dianne Murray, independent
Harold Thimbleby, Computational Foundry, Swansea University
John Tucker, History of Computing Collection and Computational Foundry,
Swansea University