Sender: "ACM SIGCHI General Interest Announcements (Mailing List)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 12:01:38 +0200
From: Falko Schmid <[log in to unmask]>
  *MapInteract 2013*

    ACM SIGSPATIAL Workshop on Interacting with Maps

November 5, 2013, Orlando, FL, USA
held in conjunction with ACM SIGSPATIAL 2013
http://mapinteract.org/

*Important Dates*
Aug. 15, 2013        Submission Deadline
Sep. 15, 2013         Notification of Acceptance

*Scope *
Maps are all around us and the visual core of spatial information. We
use them on the Internet, in mobile devices, navigation systems,
analysis and planning tools, for information visualization, or gaming.
Whenever maps are involved, it usually is not about displaying static
information, but about finding, accessing, adding, or editing
information. We want to inspect relationships between entities, navigate
through large result sets, and identify best solutions. Whatever it is,
we need to express our needs and requirements such that algorithms and
data can provide the answer. However, working with maps is surprisingly
awkward. Even simple queries can require a lot of interaction, the
formulation of complex queries is sometimes not even possible - although
we know more about the user, the context, and the task than ever before.

With MapInteract 2013 we want to explore the future of maps as fully
interactive interfaces. We are seeking for contributions addressing
different facets of interactivity with maps: from interaction design and
studies to algorithms and data enabling interaction. The application of
maps is highly diverse and we aim to to provide a forum bringing
researchers and practitioners of many domains and backgrounds together.

We invite the submission of /research papers/ and /interactive demos/ to
discuss and experience new map-based interaction techniques and
modalities, algorithms involved in interaction and visualization, user
studies, adaptation, research agendas, common challenges.
*

**Format*
This workshop is about interaction, and so is the format. We want to
create a platform for exchanging ideas, discussion, and demonstration
between researchers and practitioners. To make our workshop an agile
experience, we are aiming at a mixture of talks and hands-on experience
with interactive demos.
Are you developing novel interaction designs for specific tasks, users,
or application areas? Are you designing new algorithms and procedures to
perform map-based interactions? Are you developing novel interactive
visualizations to explore new knowledge? Whatever it is you can submit
and present your work in two ways: paper&talk or paper&demo. We will
have dedicated sessions for both, allowing theory, experience, and
communication come together for an inspiring workshop.

*Topics*
Submit your paper or demo to MapInteract 2013 if your research is
related to interaction and concerned with one or more of the following
topics (not limited to these):
* Map Interaction Design
* Algorithms for Interactive and Dynamic Maps
* Human-Computer Interaction
* Mobile Maps
* Interactive Maps
* Visual Analytics
* Cognitive Ergonomics
* Map Gestures
* Projected Maps
* Dynamic Maps
* Interacting with Multidimensionality
* Interactive Schematic Maps
* Designing for Map-based Collaboration
* Designing for Situated Activity
* Maps and Augmented Reality
* Designing for Maps on Small, Large, Shared or Ambient Displays
* Distributed Interaction Principles
* Field Research and Design
* Novel Map-based User Interfaces and Interaction Techniques
* Visualization Techniques
* Multi-modal Interfaces
* Multi-user Interaction & Cooperation
* Maps on Shared Devices
* Tangible Interfaces

*Submission*
We invite the submission of two types of contributions:
* Papers of up to 6 pages describing original work or work-in-progress.
Accepted papers will be presented as regular talks with or without a demo.
* Demos of interactive systems. Demos need a small accompanying paper of
up to 2 pages. All proposed demos need to be available at submission
time. We accept everything running: websites, videos, apps. This is
about ideas and their implementation, we do not expect polished
products. If you are in doubt just contact us!
All papers (regular and demo papers) should be submitted as PDF file
formatted in the style of the ACM Proceedings Format
(http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates) and should
not exceed 6 pages including text, figures and references. To ensure
high quality, all submitted papers will be carefully peer-reviewed by 3
committee members. One author of an accepted paper or demo is required
to register for the workshop and the conference, as well as attend the
workshop to present the accepted submission.
All papers and demo proposals must be submitted via EasyChair using the
following URL:
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=mapinteract2013
We are looking forward to receive your contribution!

*Program Chair*
Falko Schmid, University of Bremen, www.OpenScienceMap.org
Chris Kray, University of Muenster

http://www.MapInteract.org/
http://www.OpenScienceMap.org
http://www.sfbtr8.spatial-cognition.de
http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de/

Dr.-Ing. Falko Schmid

OpenScienceMap
http://www.OpenScienceMap.org

IRTG Semantic Integration of Geospatial Information
http://irtg.ifgi.de/

Initial Training Network GeoCrowd
http://www.geocrowd.eu/

Capacity Lab