Sender:
From:
Irina Shklovski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:26:39 -0400
(-- Please forward this along to those who might be interested --)

DEADLINE: May 7, 2007
WORKSHOP: June 28, 2007

Workshop for 3rd Annual Communities and Technologies Conference

Public Practices, Social Software: Examining social practices in
networked publics

This full-day workshop proposes to bring together researchers interested
in studying social software. We use this term loosely to include social
network sites (e.g., Cyworld, MySpace, orkut, and Facebook),
contemporary online dating services (e.g., Friendster, Spring Street
Personals, Match.com), blogging services (e.g., LiveJournal, Xanga,
Blogger), tagging tools (e.g. del.icio.us, Digg) and media sharing sites
(e.g., YouTube, Flickr). Although the functionality of these sites
differs greatly, there are some common features: a user-generated
profile, visible linkages between users, public communication forums
(such as message boards or comments), and persistent traces of user
behavior.

Although we intend to appeal to broad range of researchers, we expect
that we will primarily draw the attention of those studying social
network sites. At the same time, we recognize that there is a lot of
crossover between social network sites and the broader realm of social
software. We are hoping that cross-pollination would be helpful to both.
While we are aware of and have access to dozens of researchers
interested in social network sites, we are not certain of the number of
researchers looking at other forms of social software.

Activities:

This workshop will have two parts. The first half will focus on
presentations and the second half will involve small group breakouts.
Those who apply to this workshop and are accepted will be given a
presentation slot. In order to make this workshop more accessible to
attendees of the conference, the presentation section will be open to
observers. In the afternoon, only those who have been pre-selected will
be allowed to participate. Those interested in being a part of the
second half must apply to the workshop.

Workshop Goals and Application Process:

The goals of this workshop are to enable cross-fertilization among
researchers studying related technologies. Participants will be exposed
to new ideas, methodological approaches, and theories. We will try to
complicate the ways in which people are engaging with different
features.

To submit an application:

Please send the following to all three organizers (dmb [at]
sims.berkeley.edu , nellison [at] msu.edu , scott.golder [at] hp.com).

    * A brief biography of approximately 150 words
    * A 400-500 word research statement addressing your research
project, methods, findings, and future research questions and goals
    * 3 research questions about social software which you find
especially provocative and engaging. These should be questions that
you'd like to discuss with other researchers and practitioners.

Workshop homepage: http://www.ischool.berkeley.edu/~dmb/ct-sns/
Conference homepage: http://ebusiness.tc.msu.edu/cct2007/

Workshop Organizers:

    * danah boyd, University of California-Berkeley
    * Nicole Ellison, Michigan State University
    * Scott Golder, HP Labs

Deadlines:

    * Workshop proposals: May 7, 2007
    * Decisions on participants: May 21, 2007
    * Workshop date: June 28, 2007