From:
"Cheon, Eunjeong" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheon, Eunjeong
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2019 19:03:46 +0000
*Apologizes for cross-posting*

Important Dates:

Submission Date:  25 February  2019 -- Extended

Notification Date:  28 February 2019

Workshop Date: 11 March, 2019

More information: https://sites.google.com/view/robots-for-social-good-hri19

Submission page:  https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=rsg2019

Invited Speakers: Selma Sabanovic (Indiana University, USA), Chihyung Jeon (KAIST, South Korea), Ana Paiva (Instituto Universitário de Lisboa, Portugal)

Robots are being increasingly developed as social actors, entering public and personal spaces. However, if we consider these robots as social interventions, then it is important to recognize that the robot’s design – its behavior, its application, its appearance, even its marketing image – will have an impact on the society and social spaces it enters. While in some cases this may be a positive effect, social robots can also contribute negatively, e.g., reinforcing gender stereotypes or promoting ageist views.

Ultimately, we want to promote robots for social good that can contribute to positive social changes for socio-political issues (e.g., ageism, feminism, homelessness, environmental issues).  This workshop aims to strengthen this discussion in the HRI community, with the goal of working toward initial recommendations for how HRI designers can include elements of critical design in their work.

Workshop Submission:

We welcome prospective participants to submit a short paper (2 to 4 pages)  with a short paragraph (research topics and questions that the author would like to discuss in the workshop).  We are open to various type of submission (e.g, position paper, a paper addressing preliminary results, method approaches, etc.)

All papers should be submitted in PDF format using the HRI template (template link<https://www.ieee.org/conferences/publishing/templates.html>). Paper acceptance requires that *at least one author registers for and attends the workshop.*

Submission page:  https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=rsg2019

Topics of interests (but are not limited to):

– Human-centered algorithms, and computational robot autonomy research aiming to improve human autonomy

– Summaries of HRI projects that emphasize the potential impact to social good of the work.

– Case studies empowering socially marginalized population

– Methods, approaches, and techniques to bridge the knowledge gap between designers and users (e.g., co-design)

– Robots for social issues and studies investigating roles of robots as social interventions

– Application of critical social science theories to HRI

– Alternative or critical robot design approach (e.g., speculative design)

We encourage researchers and practitioners to attend the workshop even without a paper submission. Our goal is to maximize community engagement and the uptake of concepts regarding robots for social good within the field of HRI.

Organizers

Hee Rin Lee, UC San Diego

EunJeong Cheon, Indiana University Bloomington

Maartje de Graaf, Utrecht University

Patrícia Alves-Oliveira, Instituto Universitário de Lisboa

Cristina Zaga, University of Twente

James Young, University of Manitoba

?