From:
Florian Echtler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Florian Echtler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2020 13:39:14 +0200
CALL FOR PAPERS

Cloudless Skies - Decentralizing Mobile Interaction

Workshop @ MobileHCI 2020, October 5, 2020 (virtual)

Deadline for submissions: August 7th, 2020 (AoE)

https://floe.github.io/cloudless-skies/

### DESCRIPTION ###

Mobile interaction is now almost exclusively dependent on an intransparent cloud
infrastructure beyond the users’ control, resulting in multiple issues related
to security, privacy, and availability. While alternative approaches based on
decentralized network architectures exist, these have their own set of issues
such as lack of usability or content moderation.

In this workshop, we bring together researchers from related, but rarely
interconnected fields to discuss issues and opportunities related to
decentralization. We will develop and discuss current and future  scenarios for
decentralized mobile interaction, both utopian and dystopian. We invite
researchers interested in implementation and networking aspects of mobile
decentralization as well as those focusing on ethical, legal and social
implications (ELSI) of these alternative approaches to the mobile ecosystem.

Key topics of the workshop include but are not limited to:

* (Lack of) incentives for using decentralized social systems, “tragedy of the
commons”
* Emerging topics, e.g. COVID-19 contact tracing, secure multiparty computation, ...
* Utopian and dystopian design fiction on decentralized systems
* Content moderation in decentralized networks (both positive recommendations,
and spam/abuse removal)
* Network protocols and software architectures for decentralization of mobile
and IoT systems (peer-to-peer, blockchain, edge computing, ...)
* User-centric analysis of decentralized architectures; improving the usability
of decentralized systems
* Decentralization in resource-constrained environments, e.g with limited
Internet access

### SUBMISSION ###

Submission deadline: August 7th, 2020, AoE
Notifications: August 28th, 2020

We invite authors to submit their position papers of up to 4 pages (SIGCHI
extended abstract format, references excluded) related to one or more of the
above-mentioned topics. Submission is handled via EasyChair at
https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=csdmi20

The workshop will be conducted virtually, and will therefore be available to
participants with a nominal 20€ fee. Please see the MobileHCI webpage for
registration fees for the virtual main conference.

All position papers will be collected and published in the CEUR Workshop
Proceedings series. In addition, we plan a subsequent collaboration with
interested workshop participants to condense our results into an extended survey
paper, to be submitted to a suitable venue such as IMWUT in late 2020.

### ORGANIZERS ###

* Britta Schulte, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar (@brifrischu)
* Sujay Shalawadi, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar (@sujaybshalawadi)
* Max van Kleek, University of Oxford (@emax)
* Florian Echtler, Aalborg University (@floemuc)

Further details regarding the workshop are available on our website:
https://floe.github.io/cloudless-skies/

For any other questions, contact us via email to [log in to unmask]
or [log in to unmask]

--
Prof. Dr. Florian Echtler
Bauhaus-Universität Weimar