From:
"B. Adelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
B. Adelson
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:11:16 -0500
Dear Colleagues,

I hope you can come to the symposium described below and at

http://www.fi.edu/tfi/exhibits/bower/06/Norman_flyer.pdf.    Please feel free to forward this.

Beth Adelson

Rutgers University

THE SOCIAL LIFE OF MACHINES

A symposium to honor Donald A. Norman's award of the 2006

Benjamin Franklin Medal in Computer and Cognitive Science

"My current work focuses upon the increasing role of automation and intelligent devices in the home and automobile. We are entering a new age of intelligent, independent, autonomous devices. The challenge, therefore, is to add smart, intelligent things to our lives in a way that supports our activities, complements our skills, and adds to our pleasure, convenience, and accomplishments, not to our stress. I am really concerned with the future of design, for as we move forward, society needs to address the impact of all this change upon individuals and societies. Designers are at the forefront, for it is the designer who translates ideas into reality.  So today, more than ever before, designers need to understand the societal impact of the actions." -- Don Norman

PARTICIPANTS:

Don Norman  Northwestern University and the Nielsen Norman Group

Judith Donath MIT Media Lab, Social Media Group

Paul Feltovich Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cognition

Rand Spiro Michigan State University

David Woods Ohio State University Institute for Ergonomics

SPONSOR & CONTACT:

Beth Adelson  [log in to unmask]

DATE: Thursday April 27, 2006

TIME: 10:30 AM - 1:00 PM

PLACE: University of Pennsylvania

Institute for Research in Cognitive Science

3401 Walnut Street (corner entrance)

Suite 400A Philadelphia, PA

Sponsored by The Franklin Institute; the Department of Computer and Information Science, School of Engineering and Applied Science, University of Pennsylania; the Institute for Research in Cognitive Science; and the Department of Computer Science, Drexel University