From:
Norman Makoto Su <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Norman Makoto Su <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2019 22:43:51 -0500
**This is a friendly reminder that submissions to our CHI 2019 workshop are
due February 12th.**

Apologies in advance for cross-posting.

Philosophy has provided a vital perspective for HCI on how we navigate,
experience, understand, and judge the world around us and its artifacts.
Lately, HCI scholars have also sought to use philosophy’s program of
answering what it means to live a "good" life to investigate the ethical
and moral implications of the technologies we design. As philosophy in its
many forms continues to open up new influences and our relations with
technology broaden, we believe it is timely to have a meta-discussion about
what links philosophy and HCI. As we understand it, philosophy’s strength
lies in its diversity, depth, and interpretive flexibility.

The goal of this one-day workshop (Saturday May 4th, 2019) will be to
sustain this thread by bringing together HCI scholars who have been drawn
to philosophy to develop a shared agenda on how to understand it and carry
it forward. Attendees will discuss their experiences with
philosophically-informed research, epistemological and practical concerns
when pairing philosophy with traditional HCI methods, and how philosophy
can help us understand and design for users.

We invite interested researchers to submit a 2-4 page (excluding
references) position paper in the CHI Extended Abstracts format (
http://chi2019.acm.org/authors/chi-proceedings-format) that addresses the
key topic(s) of the workshop, listed on the workshop website (link below).
The paper should also include a short author biography that includes
current research or potential goals of research.

Submissions (PDF format) should be sent to [log in to unmask] by February
12th, 2019 (3:00PM EST) and will be reviewed based on relevancy to the
workshop. At least one co-author of each accepted submission should attend
the workshop.

Full details of the workshop can be found at:
https://authentic.sice.indiana.edu/philosophy-hci-workshop/

Organizers:
Norman Makoto Su, Indiana University Bloomington, USA
Victor Kaptelinin, Umeå University, Sweden
Jeffrey Bardzell, Indiana University Bloomington, USA
Shaowen Bardzell, Indiana University Bloomington, USA
Jed Brubaker, CU Boulder, USA
Ann Light, University of Sussex, UK
Dag Svanæs, NTNU, Norway and IT-University of Copenhagen, Denmark