Sender:
From:
"M. Ehsan Hoque" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2014 22:33:23 -0500
PhD Assistantships in Computer Science, University of Rochester

ROC HCI Group <http://www.cs.rochester.edu/hci/>, Professor Ehsan Hoque
<http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/mehoque/>

Department of Computer Science <http://www.cs.rochester.edu/>

University of Rochester <http://www.rochester.edu/>

Requirements:

I am looking for students who are excited about developing algorithms to
provide machines with social intelligence --  machines that understand and
respond to our facial expressions, tone of voice, body language,
physiological data etc. This would mean having interests in applied machine
learning, affective computing, assistive technology, data mining and
human-computer interaction.

Preference will be given to the students who are able to apply their
mathematical skills towards developing interactive systems and validating
them using human-centric experiments. If you share the same interest and
have done relevant work, feel free to send me a note at
[log in to unmask] with a copy of your CV and links to your relevant
papers or projects.

How does admissions work?

Admission is determined by a committee and depends on a few factors. While
the committee looks at your class rank, GRE score, I personally look for
evidence that gives me an indication that you are passionate about a
particular topic or area. The evidence could come in the form of research
publications, interesting projects and letters of recommendation. In the
past two years, we have had students from MIT, UC-Berkeley, Cornell and
BUET join our research group.

Will I be funded?

Once you clear admission, your funding is guaranteed for the duration of
your PhD.

Why University of Rochester?

The Computer Science department in University of Rochester is ranked #15
<https://sites.google.com/site/howgoodisurcs/> in the United states in
terms of the number of CS graduates who became faculty members and divide
it by our faculty size. Some of our notable alumni include Rick Rashid
(founder of Microsoft Research), Corinna Cortes (Head of Google Research,
NY), just to name a few.

The Computer Science department is a partner of the Rochester Big Data
Initiative <http://www.rochester.edu/rocdata/> with a $100 million budget
to grow the data science research. The initiative will include a brand new
Computer Science building as well 20 new faculty positions for data science
within the next few years.

How to apply?

Please note that there is no application fee to apply to the Computer
Science department at the University of Rochester.

http://www.cs.rochester.edu/graduate/how-to-apply.html