Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 05:46:19 -0700
Sender:
From:
Daniel Russell <[log in to unmask]>
*CALL FOR PARTICIPATION  &  PAPERS*

*Sensemaking Workshop*

CHI 2009.  Boston, US.  April 4—5, 2009

*Papers due: 23 October, 2008*

*Workshop Theme*

Making sense of information is central to HCI as people look to understand
complex systems, domains and problems.  Sensemaking,  per se, is everywhere
and constant.

We are seeking workshop papers on topics in the area of sensemaking for a
two-day workshop to be held at CHI 2009 in Boston, US on April 4th  and 5th,
2008.

Broadly, we take the topic of sensemaking to mean studies of how people
collect and organize information for analysis and synthesis.

We are interested in both individual and group sensemaking practices—from
how one person figures out where to go when visiting Florence, up to large,
collaborative group sensemaking where teams of people assemble and interpret
large, intricate datasets.

In particular, what are the tools, techniques and best practices of people
who need to make sense of a large amount of complex information?  Are they
the same as for people who simply need to coordinate schedules?  What issues
of scale, complexity and coordination arise that are particular to making
sense of a complex world?

*Plan for 2009*

This year we plan to hold a 2-day workshop, our response to the large number
of papers we received last year.  This will allow time for us to
collectively create an analysis of sensemaking—synthesizing the various
kinds of sensemaking presented in anticipation of a special journal issue
later in 2009.

*Submissions*

Submissions to the workshop should be sent to Daniel M. Russell (
[log in to unmask]).  Ideally, the submissions should describe work that is
ongoing, with either demonstrations of working systems or analyses of people
who have to solve sensemaking problems.

Note that, if accepted, at least one author of the paper will have to
register for the conference.

Workshop fees for participants in 2008 are estimated to be $250for a two-day
workshop.

*
**Submissions due: *23 October 2008, 11:59 PM PDT (email to:

*Notification by: *28 November 2008

*Workshop date: *23-24 April 2009

*Organizers*

·  Daniel M. Russell, Google

·  Stuart Card, PARC

·  George Furnas, U. Michigan

·  Peter Pirolli, PARC

·  Mark Stefik, PARC

*For more information:*

The workshop website is:
http://dmrussell.googlepages.com/sensemakingworkshopchi2009

E-mail for more information: [log in to unmask]

FAQ about CHI Workshops:  http://taramatthews.org/workshop-faq.html