From:
Jonathan Arnowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jonathan Arnowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 09:42:18 +0100
HCI professionals and developers who work with 4GLs have special problems
that normal development techniques do not address.  As the designer of the
new version of a 4GL program, Uniface7, I am interested in facilitating
communication among HCI professionals who workw ith 4GLS either as
developers of 4GLs or users of 4GLs.  I specifically would like to know if
there is interest in forming a Special Interest Group over 4GL HCI issues.
I would see the purpose as fold:

1) Get 4GL developers (i.e.,  people who develop 4GLs) and 4GL users (i.e.,
people that work with a 4GL) together to share experiences in
working/developing 4GL products

2) Bring HCI 4GL people together to combine our experience in solving
special 4GL HCI problems (e.g., working with a limited interface palette,
developing for multiple platforms)

3) Help develop 4GLs to more usable standards

4) Develop a "usability packet" especially for 4GL users to help in their
development of usable applications.  (Guidelines on what they need and how
they can go about it)

I am sure there are other possibilities for this group that I can't think
of at 9:30 in the morning.  If there is any interest, please send me an
e-mail.  I will try to organize an informal meeting at the CHI conference
in Atlanta.

Jonathan Arnowitz
User Interface Designer
Informaat