From:
"Jain, Prateek" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jain, Prateek
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 2020 16:29:22 +0000
*Apologies for cross-posting*

Dear all,

In case it is of interest, an awesome HCI Workshop, organized by the AIS<https://aisnet.org/?> Special Interest Group in Human-Computer Interaction<https://sighci.org/>, is taking place online (on Remo.co<https://remo.co>, an interactive conferencing platform) on Saturday, December 12.
You can still register (free options available) until December 9; details included further below:

> Industry Keynote: Mary Czerwinski
[https://www.micr​osoft.com/en-us/research/people/marycz/<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/people/marycz/>]
Partner Researcher and Research Manager
Human Understanding and Empathy Group
Microsoft Research
Talk title: Using Technology for Health, Wellbeing and Empathy

> Closing Keynote: Ben Shneiderman
[https://www.cs.um​d.edu/people/bshneide<https://www.cs.umd.edu/people/bshneide>]
Distinguished University Professor
Department of Computer Science
Brendan Iribe Center for Computer Science and Engineering
University of Maryland
Talk title: Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence: Three Fresh Ideas

This program and event are made possible in large part thanks to generous support by our Gold Sponsors - Google<https://www.google.com>, Adobe<https://www.adobe.com/>, and Tech3lab<https://tech3lab.hec.ca/en/> - as well as a number of additional academic institutions and personal sponsors! Thanks to all of their contributions, registrations are still possible until Wednesday, December 9, in two forms:
 ​
https://bit.ly/sighci2020reg

https://bit.ly/sighci2020keynotes

https://sighci.org/uploads/2020_sighci_workshop/schedule.pdf

> In case you need assistant in becoming a SIGHCI member and/or creating an AIS account, a guide is available on:
http://sighci.org/uploads/SIGHCI_Workshop_Registration_Guide.pdf

For more information:
https://sighci.org/

Lastly, and for your convenience, the two Keynote presentations' details are provided below:

13:30-14:20 ET
Industry Keynote: Mary Czerwinski
Talk title: Using Technology for Health, Wellbeing and Empathy
Abstract: How can we create technologies to help us reflect on and change our behavior if needed and improve our health and overall wellbeing both at work and at home? In this talk, I will briefly describe the last several years of work our research team has been doing in this area. We have developed wearable technology to help families manage tense situations with their children, mobile phone-based applications for handling stress and depression, as well as automatic sensing systems for tracking well-being over time. Our latest focus agents can help you with planning and focus and recommend good times to take a break at work. The overarching goal in all of this research is to develop intelligent systems and agents that work with the user so that they can maximize their goals and improve their wellbeing over time. At the end of the talk I will briefly share some information on how academics in HCI can work with industrial partners to have greater impact.

14:20-15:10 ET
Closing Keynote: Ben Shneiderman
Talk title: Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence: Three Fresh Ideas<https://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol12/iss3/1/>
Abstract: Human-Centered AI (HCAI) is a promising direction for designing AI systems that support human self-efficacy, promote creativity, clarify responsibility, and facilitate social participation. These human aspirations also encourage consideration of privacy, security, environmental protection, social justice, and human rights. This commentary reverses the current emphasis on algorithms and AI methods, by putting humans at the center of systems design thinking, in effect, a second Copernican Revolution. It offers three ideas: (1) a two-dimensional HCAI framework, which shows how it is possible to have both high levels of human control AND high levels of automation, (2) a shift from emulating humans to empowering people with a plea to shift language, imagery, and metaphors away from portrayals of intelligent autonomous teammates towards descriptions of powerful tool-like appliances and tele-operated devices, and (3) a three-level governance structure that describes how software engineering teams can develop more reliable systems, how managers can emphasize a safety culture across an organization, and how industry-wide certification can promote trustworthy HCAI systems. These ideas will be challenged by some, refined by others, extended to accommodate new technologies, and validated with quantitative and qualitative research. They offer a reframe -- a chance to restart design discussions for products and services -- which could bring greater benefits to individuals, families, communities, businesses, and society.

About the SIGHCI Workshop:
This is the premier annual event of the AIS SIGHCI. The full workshop will feature 22 presentations of complete research papers, research-in-progress papers, and a rapid research roundtable. The best completed research papers from the workshop will be fast-tracked for publication consideration in the Journal of AIS Transaction on Human Computer Interaction (THCI). Following the workshop a business meeting will be conducted, and all those interested in SIGHCI are invited to attend.

===

Best,

Prateek Jain

Newsletter Editor and VP of Membership, AIS SIGHCI
PhD Candidate, Foisie Business School, WPI

Worcester Polytechnic Institute

100 Institute Road, Worcester, MA 01609-2280

www.prateekjain.in<http://www.prateekjain.in> | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>