From:
Art Markman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Art Markman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:59:56 -0600
The Cognitive  Science  Society is hosting a 2002-2003  virtual
colloquium series  presented  live via the Internet,  with the third
talk given by Dr. Frank Keil. Register now  to   attend  at
http://www.ctaresource.com/CognitiveScience/.

Time: Friday January 31, 2003
1:00pm US Eastern Standard Time

Presenter: Dr. Frank Keil
with Leonid Rosenblit
Yale University Department of Psychology, Yale Cognition and Development Lab

Topic: The Misunderstood Limits of Folk Science: An Illusion of
Explanatory Depth

People feel they understand complex phenomena with far greater
precision, coherence, and depth than they really do; they are subject
to an illusion; an illusion of explanatory depth. The illusion is far
stronger for explanatory knowledge than many other kinds of
knowledge, such as that for facts, procedures or narratives. The
illusion for explanatory knowledge is most robust where the
environment supports real-time explanations with visible mechanisms.
We demonstrate the illusion of depth with explanatory knowledge in
Studies 1-6. Then we show differences in overconfidence about
knowledge across different knowledge domains in Studies 7-10.
Finally, we explore the mechanisms behind the initial confidence and
behind overconfidence in Studies 11 and 12. Implications for the
roles of intuitive theories in models of concepts and cognition are
discussed.

Further information about the colloquium series, a schedule of future
talks, and an archive of previous talks are available at
http://www.cognitivesciencesociety.org/colloquium

Contact <mailto:[log in to unmask]>Janet Morrow with any questions about
registration for this seminar.

Please forward this invitation to colleagues who would benefit from
this seminar or the series. Sincerely,
Art Markman

Dr. Arthur B. Markman
University of Texas
Department of Psychology
Austin, TX 78712
512-232-4645

The seminar series is hosted Aptima's  Web Conferencing Facility
The seminar series is sponsored by the Office of Naval Research