From:
Susanne Boll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susanne Boll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2020 22:04:29 +0100
———————
Call for papers
CHI 2020 Workshop
Designing Safety Critical Interactions: Hunting Down Human Error
April 24, 2020
https://sites.google.com/view/chi-ws-sci
Deadline for position papers: February 11, 2020
Submission: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dsci2020.
—————————

Designing for interfaces where successful interaction matters:  automated driving, aviation, intensive care units, maritime aviation, or energy control rooms.

Almost any presentation dealing with severe incidents with safety-critical systems contains some slides about human errors made at operation time that have been causing severe incidents or accidents. In many domains, a multitude of devices and machines from different brands in different generations have been crammed together, which we now call a command and control interface. The bridging of functions across devices, the decision making, the overview, the handling of partially imprecise or conflicting information are often just offloaded to the human. Thus, there appears to be a need to shift the attention from avoiding human error (at operation time) to avoiding design error. In a more and more automated world we need to designing out human error rather than blaming the user making an error in an information overload and poorly design interfaces.

In this workshop, we aim to provide a forum to discuss such a paradigm shift and the implication on the methods and tools for designing and evaluating HCI technology in safety-critical environments.

This workshop is aimed at researchers and designers in the field of human-computer interaction. In this workshop, we want to discuss practice, research and current knowledge in safety critical interactions and how to design for avoiding human error in future complex interactive systems. We will discuss how the design process and methods need to change or be adapted to avoid human error in safety-critical environments already at design time. What can be learnt from other domains for the design and evaluation of autonomous vehicles.

To participate, we invite four-page positions papers which should cover one of the following or related topics:
	• Interactive Systems for understanding and resolving critical situations
	• Design for safety, reliability and security in interactive systems
	• Metrics for evaluating interactions in complex safety-critical systems
	• Collaboration in safety critical environments
	• The role of simulation and models for safety critical interaction design
	• Participatory design and ethnography for safety critical interaction design
	• Interaction across multiple devices from multiple brands in safety-critical environments
	• Commonalities and discrepencies amongst different application domains

Submissions should be in the SIGCHI Extended Abstracts format and submitted in PDF through Easychair https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dsci2020.

Looking forward to your position papers,

Susanne Boll, Philippe Palanque, Alexander Mirnig, Jessica Cauchard, Margaretha Lützhöft, and Michael S. Feary