From:
Giulia Perugia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Giulia Perugia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:25:11 +0200
Dear colleagues,

Apologies for any cross-posting.

We would like to bring to your attention the Special Issue -- GENDERING
ROBOTS: Ongoing (Re)configurations of Gender in Robotics -- that is open on
the International Journal of Social Robotics (deadline: January 31st,
2022)!

The Special Issue welcomes submissions addressing the topic of gender in
robotics from multiple angles. We are interested in Social Robotics and HRI
papers, as well as in submissions from Philosophy, Social Sciences,
Psychology, and Humanities.

All papers submitted to the special issue will be reviewed as soon as they
are received, and the accepted papers will be published online first until
the complete Special Issue is published.

You can find more information on the Special Issue below and on our website
<https://sites.google.com/view/ro-man21-genr-workshop/special-issue?authuser=0>
.

Please feel free to reach out for questions and details to our email
addresses (see CFP).

Kindest regards,

Giulia Perugia

*SPECIAL ISSUE GENDERING ROBOTS: ONGOING (RE)CONFIGURATIONS OF GENDER IN
ROBOTICS*

International Journal of Social Robotics (IJSR) - Impact Factor 5.126
(2020) [link to journal <https://www.springer.com/journal/12369/>][link to
special issue <https://www.springer.com/journal/12369/updates/19292566>]

The field of HRI is increasingly employing humanoid robots and
anthropomorphic designs to aid social interactions between humans and
robots. However, designing robots with human-like characteristics can have
far-reaching implications. For instance, integrating identity markers such
as gender into robotic systems can involuntarily transfer implicit biases
into the human-robot interaction (HRI) and perpetuate harmful structural
patterns and societal stereotypes. This Special Issue aims to deepen the
social, ethical, and psychological understanding of the attribution of
gender to robots, addressing how the design and use of gendered robots
might impact HRI and affect society at large.

We welcome original papers investigating the attribution of gender to
social robots, the influence of robot’s gender on the perception of and
interaction with robots (e.g., acceptance, trust), the design of gendered
robots, and its ethical and societal implications. Through this special
issue, we would like to inspire discussions about the mindful use of robots
in society and promote the possibility of using robots to challenge harmful
social practices (e.g., gender stereotypes, gender inequality). Our
ultimate goal is to bridge the communication gap we observed between the
different disciplines addressing the topic of gender in robotics and the
lack of spaces to converse with and learn from one another.

The Special Issue is based on the GenR workshop “GENDERING ROBOTS: Ongoing
(Re)configurations of Gender in Robotics,” which took place on August 12th,
2021, at the 30th IEEE International Conference on Robot and Human
Interactive Communication (RO-MAN 2021). The Special issue opened on August
12th, 2021, and will stay open until *January 31st, 2022*. All submitted
papers will be reviewed as soon as they are received. Accepted papers are
published online first until the complete Special Issue is published.

*Topics of interest *include but are not limited to

* Gendering practices in Social Robotics

* Experimental studies on gendered robots

* Feminist robotics

* Robot’s gender design

* Norm-critical design

* Queer design in HRI

* Sex Robots

* Ethics of Gendered Robots

* Normative deviance in relation to robot gender

* Societal implications and applications of gendered robots

* Performative arts encompassing a reflection on gender in robotics

* Non-binary perspectives on robot gender

*Instructions to submit your paper to the Special Issue:*

When submitting your paper to the International Journal of Social Robotics
via the Editorial Manager, you will be asked if your paper belongs to a
special issue; please select YES as an answer. At this point, a pull-down
menu will appear, and you will be able to choose the title of the special
issue, select “GENDERING ROBOTS (GenR): Ongoing (Re)configurations of
Gender in Robotics.”

Besides selecting the Special Issue upon submission, you should also
specify in your *cover letter* that you wish to submit your manuscript to
the special issue “GENDERING ROBOTS (GenR): Ongoing (Re)configurations of
Gender in Robotics.”

Please, feel free to contact us should you need further information about
the special issue.

The Guest Editors:

Dr. Giulia Perugia (Lead guest editor): [log in to unmask]

Dr. Katie Winkle: [log in to unmask]

Dominika Lisy: [log in to unmask]

Ryan Blake Jackson: [log in to unmask]