From:
Austin Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 08:05:28 -0700
[This message is a repeat of one previously sent to a smaller
distribution list. We apologize to those receiving it again. It is
being sent out on behalf of Kate Ehrlich and Austin Henderson. Please
send all responses to [log in to unmask] ]

Taking stock of HCI Design at the Millennium

As we are entering the new Millennium, let's take stock of where we
are and where we're going. The "interactions" magazine Design Column
for January/February, 2000 will be a collage of short reflections
from across the spectrum of members of the HCI field on the following
questions:

Concerning HCI design, either content or process:

         Past: Where have we been? What have we accomplished in the
last 20 years? What are the most significant accomplishments in HCI
design in the past 20 years?

         Present: Where are we now? What is the most exciting design
work now? What are the main problems now? What are the most pressing
challenges facing HCI designers?

         Future: Where are we going in 20 years? What do you think we
will see in design in 20 years? What will be the changes in design?
What are the challenges?

This opportunity to make yourself heard is open to everyone. Please
give it some thought, and submit text and/or graphics to Kate Ehrlich
and Austin Henderson, the design column editors, at
<[log in to unmask]> by September 30. We will assemble the
column from your answers. Unless you want to be anonymous, your
contribution will be acknowledged. In the event that we receive more
answers than we can include, we reserve the right to select
contributions for publication.

Thanks,

Kate and Austin
Editors, Design Column, interactions Magazine