Sender: "ACM SIGCHI General Interest Announcements (Mailing List)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 09:15:28 +0000
Call for Papers: "Multisensory Human-Food interaction" ICMI Workshop and "Perspectives on Human-Food Interaction" Research Topic in Frontiers (Computer Science, Psychology, Nutrition)

By Carlos Velasco (BI Norwegian Business School), Marianna Obrist (University of Sussex), Gijs Huisman (Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences), Anton Nijholt (University of Twente), Charles Spence (University of Oxford), Kosuke Motoki (Miyagi University), and Takuji Narumi (University of Tokyo).

We are very excited to share with you that this year we are organizing:

1) 4th Workshop on Human-Food Interaction together with 22nd International Conference on Multimodal Interaction (ICMI) in Utrecht, The Netherlands (www.multisensoryhfi.wordpress.com/<http://www.multisensoryhfi.wordpress.com/> ). Key dates are:
Workshop papers due    Friday, July 24, 2020
Paper notification            Monday, August 3, 2020
Camera-ready paper       Monday, August 17, 2020
Workshop dates               October 25 or 29, 2020

2) "Perspectives on Human-Food Interaction", a Research Topic that involves the journals Frontiers in Computer Science, Frontiers in Psychology, and Frontiers in Nutrition (https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/13399/perspectives-on-multisensory-human-food-interaction ). Key dates are:
Abstract   01 September 2020
Manuscript   01 December 2020

Note: Short and long papers accepted for the ICMI workshop will be published in the ACM Library. In terms of the Research Topic, we will consider both new works or research that builds on and develops further what was submitted to the workshop.

Below, you find a description of the works we are calling for.

Eating and drinking are, perhaps, some of the most multisensory events of our everyday life. Take, for instance, flavor, which is one of the most important elements of such experiences. It is known that flavor is the product of the integration of, at least, gustatory and (retronasal) olfactory cues. Nevertheless, researchers have suggested that all our senses can influence how we perceive flavor, not to mention our eating and drinking experiences. For instance, the color and shape of the food, the background sonic cues in our eating environments, and/or the sounds that derive from the food's mastication can all influence our perception and enjoyment of our eating and drinking experiences. Activity in Human-Food Interaction (HFI) research has been steadily growing over the years. Research into multisensory interactions to create, modify, and enhance our food-related experiences is one of the core areas of HFI. It aims to further our understanding of the principles that govern the systematic connections that exist between the senses in the context of HFI.

In this Workshop and Research Topic, we are calling for investigations and applications of systems that create new, or enhance already existing, eating and drinking experiences ('hacking' food experiences) in the context of Human-Food Interaction. Moreover, we are interested in those works that are based on the principles that govern the systematic connections that exist between the senses. Human-Food Interaction also involves the experiencing of food interactions digitally in remote locations. Therefore, we are also interested in sensing and actuation interfaces, new communication mediums, and persisting and retrieving technologies for human food interactions. Enhancing social interactions to augment the eating experience is another issue we would like to see addressed here.

We call for research that looks into the following topics:

* Using multisensory digital devices to manipulate eating and drinking atmospheres (e.g. color, music) and factors such as food presentation (e.g. size and/or shape of the plate, smell and/or color of the food).
* Collecting user's responses derived from flavor experiences through digital devices. Tracking behavioral aspects (e.g. tracking movements, eating speed, and facial expressions), and/or using psychophysiological measurements.
* Multisensory experience design, technology, and playful interactions to influence food habits and choices.
* Understanding the role of technology in the social aspects of dining (e.g., social media and food pictures).
* Novel applications of food and technology in different contexts, e.g., during airplane flights or space travel.
* Exploring the role of technology to enhance or otherwise influence social aspects surrounding eating behavior.
* Defining the methods of associating the extended sensory data (smell, taste, touch) with traditional (AV, text) data. Food as data.