From:
Carlo Giovannella <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carlo Giovannella <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2015 12:48:54 +0200
Special Issue on
"*Designing for Peripheral Interaction:
seamlessly integrating interactive technology in everyday life"*

http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php?s=102&link=call26

to be published at the
Interaction Design and Architecture(s) Journal (IxD&A)
(ISSN 1826-9745, eISSN 2283-2998)

Guest Editors:
• Saskia Bakker, Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands
• Doris Hausen, University of Munich (LMU), Germany
• Elise van den Hoven, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia and Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands
• Ted Selker, Carnegie Mellon University, Silicon Valley, USA

Important dates:
****Deadline: 1st July*  ***
Other important dates:
• Notifications to the authors: 1st August
• Revised paper due by: 1st September
• Final notification to the authors: 1st October
• Camera ready versions due: 20th October
• Publication: second half of November

*Overview*
In everyday life, we can easily perform various activities without focused attention.
For example, we can tie our shoelaces or know what the weather is like without consciously thinking about it.
Such activities are performed in our periphery of attention while they may also shift to the center of attention
when relevant. Contrarily, interactive devices such as smartphones usually require focused attention to be interacted with.
Since such devices are becoming omnipresent in our daily environment, we need to explore how to design technology such
that it can engage both the focus and periphery of attention. This direction, which is called “peripheral interaction”,
aims to seamlessly embed computing technology into everyday life.
With computers now becoming truly ubiquitous in everyday life, certain interactions with computing technologies
will inevitably not concern our focus of attention. While various past efforts in this domain aimed to subtly present
information such that people can perceive it in their periphery of attention, we now see an upcoming interest
in interactive systems that people can physically interact with in their periphery of attention.
This special issue aims to unify the various terminologies used and will furthermore try to consolidate motivation
for and framing of the work. This issue aims to enable a platform for a wide academic discussion on peripheral interaction
and its value for embedding HCI in everyday life.

---------------------
*Topics of Interest*
---------------------
The special issue welcomes original research papers in the contributions may include but are not limited to:

• Design, human-computer interaction, art and architecture work on technology embedded in the everyday environment
• Issues of embedding computing technology in everyday natural settings, including
• Future visions of interactive system use
• Explorations and evaluations of design for everyday life
• Analysis of challenges and opportunities
• Design and art work involving technology for the everyday
• Explorations of everyday attention management
• Interaction designs for peripheral attention, including
• Eyes free interaction
• Micro interaction
• Implicit interaction
• Peripheral displays
• Auditory displays
• Ambient media
• Awareness systems
• Gesture interfaces
• Inattentive interaction
• Tangible interaction
• Embodied interaction
• New design processes, methodologies, technologies and evaluation approaches for peripheral interaction
• Peripheral interaction for specific contexts and target groups
• Tools and strategies to develop everyday interactive systems

*Submission procedure*
All submissions (abstracts and later final manuscripts) must be original
and may not be under review by another publication.
The manuscripts should be submitted either in .doc or in .rtf format.

All submissions  will be blindly peer-reviewed by at least two reviewers.
Authors are invited to submit a 8-14 pages paper
(including authors' information, abstract, all tables, figures, references, etc.).
The paper should be written according to the IxD&A authors' guidelines
->http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php

*Authors' guidelines*
Link to the paper submission page:
http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/idea2010/login.php
(when submitting the paper please choose Domain Subjects under:
"IxD&A special issue: 'Peripheral Interaction')

More information on the submission procedure and on the characteristics
of the paper format can be found on the website of the IxD&A Journal
where information on the copyright policy and responsibility of authors,
publication ethics and malpractice are published.

For scientific advices and for any query please contact the guest-editors:

• peripheralinteraction [at] gmail [dot] com

marking the subject as: 'IxD&A focus section on: 'Peripheral Interaction'.

*Other open calls*
Focus section on
*Design Antropology in Participatory Design*
Guest Editors: Rachel Charlotte Smith, Mette Kjærsgaard
http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php?s=102&link=call26fs

**** 2014: ***IxD&A in figures **** *
acceptance rate: *less than 30%*;
*4* issues and *28* papers published, written by *90* authors from *16*
countries (*5* continents);*102* reviewers involved.
IxD&A is visited by scholars from all over the world coming from about
*70* countries/
View stats:/
http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php?s=9&a=403
*** *Vote for the Best IxD&A (paper) of the year 2014* - second ballot  ***