From:
Kiley Sobel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kiley Sobel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2017 17:58:52 -0600
=============================
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: IDC 2017 WORKSHOP -- DEADLINE EXTENDED!
=============================
EQUITY & INCLUSIVITY AT IDC
=============================

We have **extended the deadline to May 12** for submissions to the workshop
on Equity & Inclusivity at IDC!

Equity & Inclusivity at IDC is a one-day workshop to be held at the 2017
Interaction Design and Children Conference in Stanford, California.

WEBSITE: https://idc2017equityinclusivity.wordpress.com/

The aim of this workshop is to bring together a community of researchers
who will share how they already make or plan to make equity—promoting
fairness by allocating more resources and opportunities to those who need
it— and inclusivity— the inclusion and meaningful participation of people
who might otherwise be excluded or marginalized— foundational to their
research with children and families. These issues— equity and inclusivity—
complement each other as we can use equitable practices and approaches to
promote inclusion in our designs and methods.

By discussing theoretical and practice-based approaches (e.g.,
intersectionality, critical race theory, critical pedagogy, critical
disability studies, etc.), providing feedback on each other’s work, and
collectively identifying challenges and hopes in addressing equity and
inclusivity when doing and assessing research in IDC, we intend to do
twofold. First, we will build our understanding of how our approaches,
designs, and/or methods may either be restricting or facilitating equitable
access and participation of diverse children and their families. Second, we
will work to establish and articulate approaches to our research that
forefront equity and inclusivity, taking into account how intersecting
identities (i.e., gender, race, class, ability, etc.) affect how the
children and families with whom we work have or do not have access to
various sources of power.

=============================
POSITION PAPERS
=============================

We invite researchers to submit a short position paper (2-4 pages in CHI
Extended Abstract format) with (1) a description of their current work or
proposed work and how it already considers or could consider equity and
inclusivity, (2) their expectations for and/or what they hope to get out of
the workshop, (3) at least three discussion questions, concerning how they
personally or we as a community at IDC can make our research more equitable
and inclusive, and (4) a brief personal bio.

We welcome participants who already approach or want to better approach
their work with equity and inclusivity in mind. At least one author of each
accepted position paper must register and attend the workshop.

Email submissions to [log in to unmask]

=============================
IMPORTANT DATES
=============================

** May 12: Position paper submission extended deadline
** May 14: Acceptance notification
** May 17: Final submissions of those accepted submitted to organizers
** June 27: Workshop at IDC 2017 (Stanford, CA)

For more details, please see the workshop website: https://idc2017equity
inclusivity.wordpress.com/

If you have any questions, please contact [log in to unmask]
.

[Apologies for any cross-posting!]

--

Kiley Sobel, University of Washington
Julie A. Kientz, University of Washington