From:
Abigail Durrant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Abigail Durrant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2016 21:25:39 +0000
CFP - CHI 2017 Workshop - ‘Problems in Practice: Understanding Design Research by Critiquing Cases’
Sunday 7th May 2017

Submission deadline 20th January 2017

**Apologies for Cross-Posting**

Recent calls within the Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) community have argued for better understanding of both design research practice and the forms of knowledge it might produce, challenging the value of design practice within HCI projects. In response, our one-day workshop at the ACM CHI conference, taking place on Sunday 7th May 2017 in Denver, Colorado, will gather case examples of design research in practice, for presentation and critique. We encourage participation from HCI design researchers with diverse backgrounds and a range of professional expertise.

Position papers should reflect authors’ personal perspectives on the problems and challenges faced in practicing design research within HCI projects, focusing on problems, miscommunications, tensions and failures. Authors should lay bare a ‘critical incident’ that has determined their project’s development. Discussion and reflection on such problems will generate a deeper critical understanding of design research practices, for better supporting HCI project teams.

We offer provocations for authors to consider:

(1) How was design practice configured in your project and what was its value?

(2) How were designers’ and researchers’ identities expressed/managed within the project?

(3) How was design practice communicated within and beyond the HCI research team?

Submissions (up to four pages in CHI Extended Abstract format, see https://chi2017.acm.org/submission-formats.html, maximum 5MB, PDF file) should also describe an artefact, image or other material that authors can bring to the workshop to support their position. We encourage use of illustrations in submissions. Authors must additionally consider the ethical implications of presenting their cases and anonymise their work as appropriate.

The deadline for submissions is 20th January 2017. For more information see: https://openlab.ncl.ac.uk/problemsinpractice/.

At least one author from each accepted paper must register for both the workshop and 1-day (minimum) of CHI2017.

Please email your submissions to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us at the email address above with any queries,

Abigail Durrant, David Kirk, Jayne Wallace, Simon Bowen, Stuart Reeves, Sara Ljungblad — workshop organisers.

https://openlab.ncl.ac.uk/problemsinpractice/