From:
"Faiola, Anthony" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Faiola, Anthony
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2013 21:14:24 +0000
CHI Announcement: Call to Qualified HCI PhD Applicants
The PhD Program in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) at the Indiana University School of Informatics and Computing (SoIC), Indianapolis (IUPUI) is seeking outstanding applicants to join our program in Fall 2014. Applications are due March 1, 2014. http://soic.iupui.edu/graduate/hci/phd/
THE PROGRAM: The Ph.D. program in HCI resides in the Department of Human-Centered Computing, a new and growing department in SoIC that includes HCI, Media Arts and Science, and Informatics. HCC and specifically our program in human-computer interaction strongly promote interdisciplinary research at the cutting edge of computing, encouraging collaborations with colleagues in the life sciences and the other disciplines housed within the School, as well as with faculty from other units across the IUPUI campus and from the broader Indianapolis business community.
THE SCHOOL: The IU School of Informatics and Computing has been a pioneer, establishing the first program in Informatics in the nation and the first to house a HCI program. SoIC offers three Ph.D. programs (Health Informatics, Bioinformatics, and Human-Computer Interaction), four Master’s programs (Health Informatics, Bioinformatics, Human-Computer Interaction, and Media Arts & Science), and three Baccalaureate programs (Informatics, Health Information Administration, and Media Arts & Science). Nearly 1,000 students are enrolled in the school's programs, with faculty and students enjoying state-of-the art facilities and access to Indiana University’s extensive investments in scholarly cyberinfrastructure.
THE UNIVERSITY: SoIC is situated on the IUPUI campus, also known as the Indiana University Medical Center Campus. The campus is home to the IU School of Medicine, the second largest medical school in the US, as well as four hospitals. During FY 2011-12, the IUPUI campus was awarded over $400M in 2010 for funded research, much of it in the health and life sciences. The campus is located in the heart of downtown Indianapolis, a thriving, mid-sized Midwestern city with abundant cultural, sports, and historical attractions and home to a number of high-tech companies with relationships to the School, including Eli Lilly & Company, ExactTarget. IU Health.
The research areas currently pursued by our HCI faculty include:

·       Ubiquitous computing and pervasive sensing for healthcare

·       Medical and clinical system design

·       Philanthropic informatics

·       Search user interfaces and information-seeking behavior

·       User experience modeling and design for web, mobile, and wall-sized computing

·       Team cognition and technology-enabled decision science

·       Android science and developmental robotics

·       Accessibility for the blind and visually impaired
FUNDING opportunities for students are available. Our faculty’s research is supported by the NSF, NIH, Google, the MacArthur Foundation, and other sources.
For more details on the program, our faculty, and our admission requirements, please visit our website, http://soic.iupui.edu/graduate/hci/phd/, or contact the Program Director directly by email: Anthony Faiola, Ph.D., MFA – [log in to unmask]

Anthony Faiola, Ph.D., MFA
Associate Professor
Director, Human-Computer Interaction
Department of Human-Centered Computing
Indiana University - School of Informatics & Computing
Indianapolis, Indiana 46202
317.278.4141 - Office
317.373.7630 - Cell
Faculty Site - http://soic.iupui.edu/people/anthony-faiola/