Sender:
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2011 07:30:31 +0000
From:
Sara Price <[log in to unmask]>
FINAL CALL FOR SHORT PAPERS: DEADLINE EXTENSION MARCH 18th

(apologies for cross posting)

IDC 2011:  The 10th International Conference on Interaction Design and

Children

In cooperation with ACM SIGCHI

University of Michigan

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

June 19-23, 2011

www.idc2011.net

Short paper deadline extended to March 18, 2011

Keynote address by Dr. Jim Gray, Director of Learning, LeapFrog Enterprises

Inc.

CONFERENCE OVERVIEW

For young people today, technology is pervasive in many aspects of life as

they learn and play using computers and other technological devices, build

and maintain friendships, and engage in innovative learning experiences and

other creative activity.  IDC 2011 continues the IDC tradition of exploring

and expanding the landscape of interaction design and children to understand

children¹s needs and how to design for them by gathering the leading minds

in the field of interaction design and children to present and discuss

innovative research and exhibit the most recent developments in design and

technology for young people.

IDC 2011 would like to invite you to discuss the wide diversification of

technology (e.g., ranging from computers to mobile phones to innovative uses

of digital media, games, and other interactive technologies) for young

people of different profiles, ages (very young children to adolescents) and

psychological, social, and physical needs in different contexts (e.g.,

museums, classrooms, playgrounds, etc.).

Additionally, we would like to explore work addressing our conference theme

"Designing When Boundaries Blur: Reshaping Interaction Design in the

Pervasive Technology Landscape" to discuss the opportunities and challenges

that arise as technology becomes more pervasive.  As some technologies

shrink (e.g., networked, mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets) and

other technologies expand (e.g., large displays, embedded technologies,

haptic interfaces), what does this pervasive technology landscape mean for

interaction design?  The boundaries are now blurred in ways that cause us to

reshape and rethink the research and design approaches that we use for our

work on interaction design and children, especially as we consider

technology use across contexts; the types of artifacts that children can now

view, create, and interact with; and the instruments we use for our own work

on design and evaluation.

We hope that you can contribute and join us for our tenth anniversary as we

reflect on our work, examine these and other issues, develop new IDC

directions for the next ten yearsŠand have a little fun while we're at it!

For detailed and up-to-date information about IDC 2011, please visit

www.idc2011.net or contact [log in to unmask]

SUBMISSIONS

Submissions of workshops, full papers, short papers, and demos, are invited

on all topics from the domain of interaction design for children, including,

but not limited to:

Methods, techniques, and guidelines for requirements analysis, design, and

evaluation of interactive systems for ³children as a diverse group² (young

people of different gender and age, with special needs, from different

cultures or ethnical groups).

Emerging or new technologies for children (e.g., innovative educational

simulations, interactive games, mobile communications devices, wireless

embedded technologies, robots, accessible fabrication devices, ³smart²

materials, authoring/programming tools).

The impact that such technologies can have on children¹s lives and

personalities.

Ethnographic and case studies of children¹s use of interactive systems in

schools, at home, in hospitals, in public spaces.

Usability, enjoyability, accessibility, and safety issues, with particular

reference to children.

Novel theoretical models of interaction with special relevance to children.

Design for children¹s civic involvement, democracy, physical and emotional

well-being, and social awareness of environmental, ethical, ethnographical,

or cultural issues.

Interactive technology for children from an adult¹s perspective.

All accepted full papers, short papers, and demos, will be presented at the

IDC 2011 conference, and will appear in the IDC 2011 proceedings.

Proceedings will be published in the ACM Digital Library

For submission instructions please visit www.idc2011.net

IMPORTANT DATES

Workshop Proposals

CLOSED

Full papers

CLOSED

Short papers

Submission deadline: March 18, 2011

Acceptance notification: April 12, 2011

Final version deadline: April 26, 2011

Demos

Submission deadline: March 11, 2011

Acceptance notification: April 12, 2011

Final version deadline: April 26, 2011

Doctoral Consortium

Submission deadline: March 25, 2011

Notification date: April 15, 2011

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

CONFERENCE CO-CHAIRS

Tom Moher, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA

Chris Quintana, University of Michigan, USA

PROGRAM CHAIR

Sara Price, London Knowledge Lab, United Kingdom

ASSOCIATE PAPERS CHAIRS

Paulo Blikstein, Stanford University, USA

Paul Marshall, University of Warwick, United Kingdom

SHORT PAPERS CHAIRS

Alissa Antle, Simon Fraser University, Canada

Heidi Schelhowe, University of Bremen, Germany

WORKSHOPS CHAIR:

Juan-Pablo Hourcade, University of Iowa, USA

DEMO CHAIRS

Rafael ³Tico² Ballagas, Nokia Research Center, USA

Michael Horn, Northwestern University, USA

DOCTORAL CONSORTIUM CHAIRS

Allison Druin, University of Maryland, USA

Franca Garzotto, Politecnico di Milano, Italy